cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VLT
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

HTC Touch 2 signal problems

My HTC Touch 2 has recently started to fail to find, or, at times, apparently search for, a signal where other phones on Vodafone show high signal strength.

Where we live has intermittent signal – a few inches can make the difference between two bars and none. That I have to accept but I have recently found that even in unobstructed outdoor areas where there is a good signal for other Vodafone users I am getting the exclamation mark – not even the moving dots indicating a search.

Has anyone else found this problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
VLT
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: HTC Touch 2 signal problems

Have now placed SIM in my faithfull S620 and that shows full signal in that open space against max 2 bars for the Touch2.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Had the same problem, so I arranged to have the phone sent for repair. While it was away I used an old Nokia which always displayed a strong signal. A new Touch 2 has been sent to me, great I thought, the old one must have been faulty, but I'm not so sure that this one is any better. I haven't been anywhere, other than my home locality yet, but the signal strength drifts between 2 and 4 bars. Shame I lost my 620, had no trouble with that, and could use voip!

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

I have exactly the same experience. My husband's business mobile is Vodafone, and he has all bars showing when mine wobbles between 1-2 bars ... and we're standing in the same room. I find the signal totally drops when I'm at London Bridge station, and his mobile is pumping out a very strong signal. He has a Blackberry; mine is HTC Touch2.

0 Ratings
mcclymwc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I noticed this problem when I got my Touch 2 in November and reporterd it then and received a new handset - absolutely no difference. I since checked Vodafone coverage map and my address is in a variable indoor signal strength area. Still doesn't explain why s620 is perfect and Touch 2 isn't when in the same room....

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/mobile_services/mobile_network_coverage/Coverage_map_signal_strength_te...

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

That's a fantastic website. I've just discovered that my street is variable both indoors and out. Interestingly, a few blocks away and the signal strength is excellent according to the map. I'm going to test that out today when I walk the dog.

0 Ratings
Raid1968
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Remember your older phones will be showing 2G signal which will usually always be stronger. The Touch 2 is Auto set to show 3G or Hsdpa which usually fluctuates for me anyway between 1 and 3 bars.

You could set the handset to pick up GSM only and see if there is any difference with the 2G signal on the Touch 2 and the 2G signal on another handset (non 3G)

It could come down to possibly that the RF unit's on the new handsets are not as good as the older models.

Raid

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Raid, when I do that (Touch 2 to GSM and old 620 set default) both show 3 bars. I'm actually not bothered about the number of bars showing on my Touch 2 so long as I'm able to use it, which I can. I happen to know that T-Mobile users also have problems at London Bridge station, so it's not just Vodafone.

The next time that my husband and I compare handset signals, I might check his to see what's showing 3G, H or G. Didn't do that last time ... tsk, tsk ... not very thorough of me.

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Raid

Are you able to specify the settings to change please? Is it a case of disabling HSPDA?

Vyv

0 Ratings