I got an HTC Wildfire in July. It has been wirelessly connecting to my BT Home Hub 2 quite happily. However, a couple of months ago, BT changed my hub as there was a problem with the wireless signal dropping out continually. I installed the new hub and everything has been working fine, then 2 weeks in the HTC was no longer able to connect to the main hub, however for some strange reason, it happily connects to the BT Openzone and BT Fon signal that the Hub also broadcasts. I have tried resetting the hub channel, rebooting the hub, changed the security from WPA to WEP, but still it refuses to connect. It can see the hub, tries to connect, but then comes up as unsuccessful. Strangely, the 2 laptops I have can connect wirelessly to the main hub without any problems.
I now have to use the BT Openzone signal on my HTC, but this doesn't allow some of the features that I used to use and more than anything, I'm just baffled and want to get it working again. I have another old phone which also seems unable to connect, but I always used to have some problems with that, so can't judge. I don't have another wireless connecting phone to test it.
My Hub has the latest firmware update and I've searched the net for similar problems, but can't find anything - does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance....I've run out of ideas and I'd be eternally grateful if you could solve this mystery.
have you tried changing from b/g/n to just b/g?
Thank you for the suggestion - yes I have and still no luck. As I said - it worked absolutely fine before, but suddenly wouldn't connect. I haven't had an update on the phone, but I wonder if there was one on the hub, not longer after I got it. Otherwise, why the sudden change?
I'm not familiar first hand with the Wildfire o/s, but suspect it is similar to the Desire.
Your primary wi fi connection was via the serial key of your former hub, with BTOZ as another connection option - which it is still recognising.
Have you deleted the old seriel key from your phone, and installed the key of your new hub into the phone? (sorry if you have done the obvious).
Sounds like the phone is searhcing for your old wi fi connection, not finding it, and going onto BTOZ instead.
Always try a reset of the phone and start from scratch with the new hub.
Thanks for your help - and yes, the Wildfire is very like the Desire...just slightly lower spec.
I deleted the old hub when the new router arrived, and for the first couple of weeks the HTC connected immediately and was working fine, it just seemed to drop out all of a sudden a couple of weeks later. Whilst the BTOZ was a secondary option, the Main hub is set as the primary and it always tries to access that first and only jumps to BTOZ when that fails.
.....and please, don't worry about stating the obvious....because in my experience, it's always the most obvious thing that I forget!
Does the wildfire auto back up your settings to the SD card? Desire used to, but that protocol has been superceeded. Have you checked what is backed up on the SD card for wi fi settings, you might have hub#1 on the SD, and hub #2 on the device, and therer is a conflict, if there is a conflict, I suspect the phone will use #1 rather than #2.
Are you connecting via the device o/s, or the BT Fon app.? Might try deleting and re-installing that.
Did you buy the handset SIM free and unlocked, or is there any network software on it that might be glitching the connection - some old cache on the SIM from hub #1? Try connecting to wi fi without the SIM in, leave it out for 30 mins.
Interesting options to try - thank you.
I do not have any settings backed up to the SIM, but I checked to be sure and nothing there. To be honest I didn't even know that was an option.
The phone was bought on a Vodafone monthly contract. I tried it without the SIM as you suggested, but no luck. It would still only connect via BTOZ. I left it for 30 mins just in case, but no change.
I was accessing via the BT OZ via the BT Fon app, so as you suggested, I deleted that and tried again....still refused to connect to the main hub.
During all this, I actually picked up the new Android Froyo update...been waiting ages for that. Even after this, it still refuses to connect to the main hub....I'm beginning to think that it has to be the hub, although goodness knows why.
Thank you so much for all your great suggestions - you've been a great help, but I may to accept that BT OZ is the only way for me from now on...
I am having the same trouble
I find the 3 networks
will not connectto my main broadband will only connect through openzone or btfon