Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 101 of 103

Re: Hanging Up Phone Reboots Router.

Thank you @RogerB for your post.

I did not do resets “willy nilly” but are from after using the phone and the Smart Hub 6 dropped connection reset itself to an Orange Flashing Light Which in the Smart Hub 6 booklet is “The Hub Is Connecting To Broadband”. I have restarted the hub when the speed were ridiculously low as the Smart Hub had dropped connection any way so little harm in that as far as I am concerned. No one has been able give a definite reason for the resets when using the phone it point to interference between voice and data but have tried different filters and makes no difference.

The moderators do a sterling job and are not criticised in my posts neither are any of the contributors to this thread.

The moderators are limited in what they can achieve by having to rely on Openreach and what information they chose to relay back to the moderators. It is time the network was opened up to the ISP companies to investigate the problems of their customers.

Openreach being a private company should take responsibility for its network and invest in its maintenance and not rely on government to supply funds for that, the state of the network would have been known when privatisation took place but that is a completely different subject.

The original problem was underground between the Distribution Pole and the Street Cabinet 16 in Tweed Street and as far as I know there has been no underground repair so the problem will persist, there still is still crackling on the line when not crackling there is rustling sound or a humming sound which you should not get with corded phones even connected to the test socket.

As you say my line has no resemblance to the cases you state, as the data is relayed to the Street Cabinet by fibre cable and the through 700m of to my home. (As explained by the 2nd engineer that visited).

Once again thank you for your wisdom, and thank you to pippincp.

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 102 of 103

@OldGreyHairwrote:

Thank you @RogerB for your post.

"I did not do resets “willy nilly” but are from after using the phone and the Smart Hub 6 dropped connection reset itself to an Orange Flashing Light Which in the Smart Hub 6 booklet is “The Hub Is Connecting To Broadband”. I have restarted the hub when the speed were ridiculously low as the Smart Hub had dropped connection any way so little harm in that as far as I am concerned. "

Two things ... firstly when you see the hub's orange light flashing and it's trying to connect ... what it's actually doing (is in your case) negotiating a handshake which could be proving difficult ... as it depends on the acceptance in frequency response of a series of test tones to set up the path's configuration ... especially if it's taking longer than normal. Because of background noise it may do that, but eventually train to it. As for the noise itself ... whether hum, hiss, crosstalk or whatever is there, it will overcome it, but hasten to add that maybe the problem with the "rediculously low speeds" you speak of.

It may be that it is incapable of giving the line estimate at certain times it "chooses" to restart.

And secondly, do any of your neighbours served by the same cabinet have the same problems?

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 103 of 103

Thank you @RogerB for your post

As I tried to explain in an earlier post I did get chance to speak with a neighbour also a senior citizen she explained the line is used for phone calls only but she has had several occasions when an engineer has attended because of "intolerable" noise on the line.

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings