Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 71 of 103

Re: Hanging Up Phone Reboots Router.

Resets are up to you but they do make your connection worse in long run

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 72 of 103

Hello 

Thank you @imjolly  for you interest.

Yes in most circumstance resets would be a hindrance to the performance of the broadband and the Smart Hub is on 24hrs a day month in month out.  When the speed drops to very poor levels the there is very little option but to reset even then the rest does not work every time.

19:33:5218 Jun.dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=5761KbpsUp Rate=7395KbpsSNR Margin Down=10.10dBSNR Margin Up=6.00dB

Until BT/Openreach repair the underground fault as diagnosed by the first engineer then the problem will persist.

Another drop early this morning Speed Decreased, SNR Increased, (Up/Down 3.20 Mbps / 25.00 Mbps, SNR 16.2 dB / 13.6 dB Max Data Rate 8489 / 40544).

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 73 of 103

No Internet connection at all this morning had to restart the Smart Hub again to get it back on.

Still noise on the line. Pluged into the test socket with broadband and phone pluged into an in line micro filter again.

Speed has increased and SNR reduced but still high. Data Rate: 7.20Mbps/35Mbps, Maximum Data Rate: 8528 / 41609, Maximum Data Rate: 8528 / 41609, SNR 7.5dB / 8.2dB Line Attenuation 24.2 dB.

@JohnC2Did this all start with Firmware Udate 21 May 2018, but this does not explain noise on the line. 

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 74 of 103

Back To Square One.

Despite the best efforts of moderator JohnC2 the problem persists.

Thank you @JohnC2 for your phone call today which proved very difficult as the conversation was interrupted to the point that what was being said could hardly be heard for the crackling on the line as John would no doubt testify.  Also at the start of the conversation the Smart Hub dropped connection again and reset itself to the Orange Flashing Light.

I find myself in a quandary now as the infrastructure is so poor and Openreach maintain they cannot find the source of the problem even though the first engineer said that the fault lay underground.

I can stay with BT and wait for the problem to get worse (how bad does it have to get) and hope it gets fixed some time. 

I can give up broadband and the landline altogether  as moving to another provider is futile when all but one use the same infrastructure (so much for modern technology on 50/60 year old infrastructure always recurring problems every few months).

I can take up with the only other provider that has it own infrastructure, it seems I have ended up in a monopoly situation which is not a healthy place to be.

It is time that Ofcom did something about this very sorry state of affairs and hit Openreach very hard. Openreach are not interested in maintaining the standard infrastructure but are obsessed with pushing the more lucrative high speed lines, just not interested in the street cabinet to distribution pole aluminium cables as the second Openreach engineer explained.

Im just stumped at the moment what to do.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 75 of 103

@OldGreyHair

Did @JohnC2 suggest anything would be done? 

I haven't yet checked all the posts (I will shortly) but from what you have said Openreach (OR) need to find and correct the fault.  Clearly your line is poor (from the noise) so that needs fixing first and formost. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 76 of 103

Thank You For Your Interest @CJT80

As far as I know Openreach have carried out all of their tests and as far as they are concerned their is nothing wrong with the line nothing else to be done even after today's events and notwithstanding what engineers said on visits one and two.

Intermittent Fault  

Tough

End Of Story

Hard Luck 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 77 of 103

@OldGreyHair

I don't know if you can escalate a complaint higher up in BT (As your ISP) as they appear to be in a position to push OR further to get this fixed. 

Yes it is intermittent but they (as you have noted) feel it's an external underground fault. 

I guess if you keep (for yourself) an accurate log as to when things occur (or have occurred up to now) that may give more weight to perhaps getting it fixed.  Just a thought. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 78 of 103

Thank you @CJT80 for your interest.

I understand that the problem has been escalated as far as it can go, as far as Openreach are concerned there is not a problem. I do not think there is a way to make a complaint against Openreach.

Once again more noise on the line last night and this morning and a drop in connection and very poor speed connection in test socket through a in line micro filter.

So I do not know what else can be done.26/06/2018  11:0526/06/2018 11:05

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 79 of 103

A Further Drop And Reduction In Speed What Are Openreach Doing?

Connection Via Test Socket And In Line Micro Filter.

Have Video Which Has  The Date And Time Showing On The Display And The Sound Of Noise On The Line.

SNR And Maximum Data Rate All Over The Place.

SNR Down Gone AS Low As Down 3dB  Latest SNR Up / Down 9.3dB / 22dB.

Time For A Deadlock Letter I think. 

26/06/2018  11:3526/06/2018 11:35

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 80 of 103

I doubt openreach are doing anything just your line noise causing the conenction to drop

I though openreach had a duty to get your phone line working satisfactory but not for broadband which if it works it works whereas phone should work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings