cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stpjg01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Hard drive crashed - would my emails have been stored on BT Cloud?

I have had someone restore my hard drive but it is empty and there is no .pst file. My emails were on Outlook with hundreds of folders. I can only see emails as from when I used webmail to open Outlook on a friend's spare laptop so I appear to have lost the last 5 years. I have Bt Cloud but dont recall setting it up although all my photos and docs appear to be on there. There is nothing .pst but there is a file with my email address with the extension .bak but I dont know what to do with it. Any techies can help me?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Hard drive crashed - would my emails have been stored on BT Cloud?

The .bak file could well be a backed up copy of a .PST file that has been renamed. Just rename it to anything(but not your email address) .PST and see if you can open it in Outlook. If you go to Account settings and select the Data files tab, click 'add' and navigate to the file. You should then see it in your folders in Outlook.

0 Ratings
stpjg01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

thank you - unfortunately that didnt work. it downloaded as a text file and even when changing the extension it does not appear on Outlook.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you had to re-install Windows, unless you used a Windows repair option, you will have lost everything that was on the hard-drive.

I don't use BTCloud but my understanding of it is that you would have to select what was "backed up" and stored on the cloud and as you don't recall doing this it is unlikely that your emails will be there.

If you previously left your emails on the server after they were downloaded by Outlook or if you used an IMAP account in Outlook, your emails should still be on BT email server. Have you checked by logging onto your BTYahoo/Mail account via webmail to see if they are there.

If they are not there then I'm afraid they will be lost.