Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spencerbrown
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Hardwire issues with Home Hub 5

Hi I wonder if anyone can help

I just changed from sky broadband to BT broadband. 3 years ago my flat was proofed with Cat cables running through the whole flat. (I cant remeber whether CAT 5 or CAT 6). 

My broadband wireless works but the hardwire doesnt. I had a look on the bt site and it says that CAT5e is the only one compatible. whwn i try their small cable it works. but my flat is already wired with my existing cable and there is no way for me to go back into the walls. 

there must be something I can do? any ideas?

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Hardwire issues with Home Hub 5

The HH5 should work OK with Cat5 , 5e or 6. All that should be affected should be transfer speeds.

Have you checked that the Ethernet ports on the Homehub are actually working by using an Ethernet cable to one of your devices.

How are you connecting the Homehub into your home network. Is it through a switch or just Ethernet cables directly onto the Homehub. If it is through a switch have you checked that it is working OK.

0 Ratings
spencerbrown
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for your reply.

- I have checked the ports are working because I used the CAT5e cable provided by plugging it into the hub and the other end into my laptop. This worked fine.

- I use a switch which is in the other end of the flat. So I plug my current CAT cable into the hub and go to the switch. I then take out the other end of the CAT cable out of the switch and plug it directly into the Laptop to cut out the switch. Nothing happens. Everything was working fine before I changed from sky to BT so I very much doubt my CAT cable has developed a fault within the last week. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Is your set up similar to this

hub-to-patch-panel.jpg

0 Ratings
spencerbrown
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Ive set it up like this. Maybe ive done it wrong. IMG_2434.JPG

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

I suspect it is user error somewhere along the line.

What does that Ethernet cable connect to? It should go to your switch or distribution point. Assuming you have cables in other rooms they should then all connect into the switch at one end and then into your devices at the other end.

It should more or less look like the diagram I posted although you don't need all the ports on the Homehub connected up as long as the one cable you have shown in your picture is going to your Ethernet switch and the rooms are being fed from that. 

0 Ratings
spencerbrown
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

The set up isnt quite like your picture because the cable which goes from the wall socket i have plugged into the far left port called Broadband DSL

The Ethernet cable runs inside the walls and connects to a switch box which in turn then distributes across the flat. I am taking the switch box out of the equation by testing the cable directly into my laptop. So it is a direct feed from the hub to my Lap top 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Well if the hub port works with your laptop with a different cable, the only thing it can be is the old cable to the switch. How long is the cable? You could try fixing the speed of your Ethernet port to 100M to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Why are you taking the switch out of the equation. Your Homehub should connect directly to the switch then from the switch to your devices.

If you are only doing that to check if the cables are serviceable are you sure that the socket you are connecting the Homehub to is going directly to your laptop. Have you tried all the other cables that were plugged into the switch in case you have connected up the wrong one. 

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Load of rubbish, sounds like the usual excuses that BT trot out to abdicate any responsibility

I have a HH5 (b) Connected over standard cat 5 installed 18 years ago throughout my house and all works perfectly. The only issue is have had is some connections don't run at gigabit speeds (which it shouldn't support anyway but does on a lot of the connections) so I have to say what a load of FUD
0 Ratings