cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Has anyone considered going landline free?

After recent bust ups with both BT and Sky (well, actually, I have had bust ups with every phone/broadband provider I have ever had, the worst one being orange) I have had a bit of an epiphany. 

I don't need a landline and in fact I don't need a broadband service.  I have an unlimited data mobile phone contract that lets you tether. I can even watch streaming services on it.

I think I will give it a miss and just have sky tv via dish.  I did used to download films etc but a lovefilm subscription will deal with that.

When I had a landline I never used it.  The only thing it was ever useful for was the odd freephoone number. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Has anyone considered going landline free?

There are quite a few (mostly younger) people these days who live without a land-line.

I suspect for most people, the maximum data speed from 3G mobile is still quite a lot less than they can get on a land-line or cable.  But that may not matter - there will be a limit to teh speed any particular person needs.

BTW - how unlimited is your "unlimited" package?  I'd check the fine print for a "fair usage policy", just in case.

0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

My data is described as "all you can eat". I hardly use any on the actual phone so I can't see them complaining.

I do also have a mobile broadband dongle which I could top up if necessary.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Interesting idea. I successfully watch Netflix and other services via my  3 iphone at my caravan. It works well but the speed is not good enough to deal with MLB.TV. Using the same set up I can watch Sky Go and the iPlayer on my iPad.

However the speed is really not fast enough for my needs and at home reception is patchy.

With advent of 4G on 3 next year that might all change.

i would be less than happy however to ditch my landline too many phone calls are uber expensive via a mobile And of course no access to BT Vision

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 5 of 12

It all depends on geographical location. If your in the middle of a town, with strong and uncontended 3G signal then you could theroretically go landline free. Your quality of service won't be half as good, but it would save duplication. There are 3G routers available now that would allow for through-home wifi service without having to cart a phone about.

Personally I'll stick with my fixed line. For all of BT's faults it does supply a phone service that works 99% of the time, even during a power cut. If BT got their broadband SLA up to the same level as their voice comms SLA then I'd be very happy.

0 Ratings
antonni
Message 6 of 12

BT phone and broadband service here has been deteriorating for many months. I now rely on mobile phones and have acquired from 3 a Huawei mi-fi gadget. Both deliver a superior service to that available from BT - superior because reliable.

But... my wife cannot contemplate life without a landline.. "the telephone" (we are both persons of a certain age), so...

0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

@rhyds wrote:

It all depends on geographical location. If your in the middle of a town, with strong and uncontended 3G signal then you could theroretically go landline free. Your quality of service won't be half as good, but it would save duplication. There are 3G routers available now that would allow for through-home wifi service without having to cart a phone about.

Personally I'll stick with my fixed line. For all of BT's faults it does supply a phone service that works 99% of the time, even during a power cut. If BT got their broadband SLA up to the same level as their voice comms SLA then I'd be very happy.

My phone actually gives me a through home wifi service.  I am currently in my conservatory sending this message on my phone's internet connection and the phone is in my living room.  I am using it as a wireless access point.

There are a few downsides to this.  I don't think wifi printers and games consoles will work but...

I could buy a router that allows me to put my usb mobile broadband dongle in.  I have seen a contract where I can pay about £10 per month for 15GB of data and a speed of 3.5 meg.  If I pair that with a USB router then I can have full wireless round the home.

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 8 of 12

To clarify, I meant through home while still being able to answer the phone without knocking everyone offline.

I used that exact setup when I first moved in. Speed was "adequate" rather than fast.

Randomly, a colleage asked me about this very subject today as she doesn't want to be tied in to a 12month line rental and 18 month broadband package. Now I know that you can still do line rentals monthly, but does anyone still do rolling broadband/calls contracts?

0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

@rhyds wrote:

To clarify, I meant through home while still being able to answer the phone without knocking everyone offline.

I used that exact setup when I first moved in. Speed was "adequate" rather than fast.

Randomly, a colleage asked me about this very subject today as she doesn't want to be tied in to a 12month line rental and 18 month broadband package. Now I know that you can still do line rentals monthly, but does anyone still do rolling broadband/calls contracts?

My phone can recieve calls while still maintaining the connection.  I think any smart phone can.

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 10 of 12

My Motorla milestone and Samsung GS3 both drop data links in a call in my experience, but of course that could be because my mobile singnal is the wrong side of **bleep**.

0 Ratings