cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Has my speed been capped?

For over 3 years I've been getting speeds of 6-8mb all day everyday.  A short while ago I lost connection (the internet light had gone out) ,rebooted the home hub and connection was back but it appears I'm only getting a 2mb service.  Has it been restricted?.  I haven't had any warnings in email etc.

Here's my speedtest results.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1870 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2603 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.5:21.76:66.74 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Has my speed been capped?

You haven't been capped. That's done by lowering the IP profile, not the connection speed. There must be some other reason why your speed is lower. It's worth re-ckecking all connections, and that you have microfilters on everything, then rebooting the hub. But don't keep rebooting as that will lower the IP profile.
0 Ratings
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

[quote]You haven't been capped. That's done by lowering the IP profile[/quote]

Sorry but I'm new to this.  How can you be sure they haven't lowered my IP profile?  I'm presuming the speed issue is exactly because I do have a lower IP profile. 

Having read other speed related threads my IP profile certainly looks lower compared to IP profiles of others who also have speed issues.  All I know is one minute everything is fine and dandy and suddenly I experience disconnection.  Within 10 minutes I'm back up and running with a new lower speed.  So again, how can you be sure my IP profile hasn't been lowered?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Getting worse 😞 IP profile going down.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1784 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2247 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.43:28.25:60.31 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

@Grumpy_MoFo wrote:
Getting worse 😞 IP profile going down.

Your IP profile is going down because your sync. speed is dropping. ie your line charachteristics are getting worse.

Any audible noise ?  Checked/swapped filters ?  Plug into test socket - the same ? etc etc.

0 Ratings
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks IanC.

Guess I'm gonna have to try all those things including trying a different hub.

Re audible noise - my phone line is clear (sorry if I'm being naive here). I've been trying to get my hub stats using http://192.168.1.254/ but it's very basic. I try advanced but get prompted for password which I dont have. Is this the correct way to get stats or am I barking up the wrong tree?
0 Ratings
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I finally managed to access advanced hub stats, whether they're of any use I really dont know but I'll post anyway.  CRC shows a down error?

Uptime:0 days, 17:36:22
Modulation:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:443 / 2,247
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:129.38 / irrelevant
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:9.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:16.5 / 30.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:16.5 / 31.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
Line Profile:Fast
0 Ratings
iko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

What's the Latest about this issue?

Cheers

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

@iko wrote:

Cheers

As far as any capping is concerned, there is no issue.

The IP profile is decided by the sync. speed (not vice-versa) and the current IP profile is correct for the current sync. speed.

0 Ratings
Grumpy_MoFo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Cheers

Nothing new.  As you can see none of BT's mods have shown any interest to date. 

I guess the output down reading of 0 is perfectly normal (even though elsewhere on other forums it seems to indicate a problem)

Thankfully I'm out of contract.  Sky offer an up to 2mb connection free of charge.  No need for me to pay option 3 prices!

0 Ratings