cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Have had Infinity 1 for 1 month. Download speeds have dropped to 0.1kb/sec !! What can I do?

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)73.4542016.5--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)64.835.12010.7--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--4.5 to 11Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 14.5 to 11Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Have had Infinity 1 for 1 month. Download speeds have dropped to 0.1kb/sec !! What can I do?

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you will probably have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: Have had Infinity 1 for 1 month. Download speeds have dropped to 0.1kb/sec !! What can I do?

Results as follows:

broadband speed 1.png

broadband speed 2.png

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068342+NQ34433199
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 21/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 10:02:41
6. Data rate:9999 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:17843 / 42711
8. Noise margin:12.9 / 8.1
9. Line attenuation:23.0 / 18.5
10. Signal attenuation:23.1 / 18.1
11. Data sent/received:204.6 MB / 3.8 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Hope you can help. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

No problems there, according to those stats you are getting the max speed for Infinity 1

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

It only seems to be when I am downloading on utorrent. I have heard that BT have been throttling download speeds. iPlayer etc fine. I hope I haven't made a mistake moving from Broadband to Infinity Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

BT do not throttle. You can check by running  Glasnost Test here http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

Are you possibly confusing Megabits and Megabytes.The difference between a (MB) Megabyte (used for file size) and a (Mb) Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.

Most torrent downloads are shown in MBps as against speed which is shown as Mbps. Multiply your download by 8 and it will give your approx speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

You can only download as fast as the distant server can send.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Screen shot of utorrent speed.

As you can see download speed is 0.7kB/s.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Can't run the glasnost test due to Java.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Check your settings in utorrent. Right click your utorrent icon in the icon tray on your taskbar and switch uploads and downloads to unlimited if they are not already set at that.

0 Ratings