cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Have intermittent fault, BT said there was no fault and charged me £130. Still have fault!!

Hi.

I have an intermittent fault on my phone. BT Infinity works OK

I have only one master socket attached. To this is a wireless phone, which has been replaced. When I got the fault I bought a phone which also plugs directly in the socket (not wireless). The fault has appeared on all these phones.

Two BT engineers have been, they could not find the fault, yet it continues. I checked my BT Bill today to discover that I have been charged £130 for the visit when clearly it cannot be my equipment, or I am the most unlucky person in the world and the fault is replicated on 3 phones or a BT Infinity modem.

The fault is that when sometimes we talk, our voice is distorted, but the person we are talking too sounds clear as a bell. The person who is ringing us now knows when it is going to be bad because the ringing sound at their end sounds distorted also. It is not one person but several people.

The BT engineer check the line at all places but not up the pole as it is out of date so they are not allowed up it. The first engineer suggested that their may be a fault at the exchange but this was not followed up by BT.

I cannot understand why my equipment can cause the fault and I have been charged £130 for this?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Have intermittent fault, BT said there was no fault and charged me £130. Still have fault!!

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Have intermittent fault, BT said there was no fault and charged me £130. Still have fault!!

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted a team via the phone.

Currently they insist that I have to pay the £130 as I agreed to the terms and conditions on the web form and the engineer could find no fault. I have said that I am unhappy with this as I thought it was referring the charge being linked to faulty equipment in the home and as I have changed everything, I find it hard to believe this. I then asked for the call to be escalated and await being contacted.

Very fustrating to be charged for something. Especially when I still have the fault. Infact it is back with avengance, though a line check revealed nothing, so I will not be able to call out an engineer coz they are likely to charge another £130!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

you cannot connect a phone to an infinity modem
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

No, infinity modem connected to master socket in correct connection point. Phone connected to other socket in master socket. Never tried to connect a phone to the infinity modem.

Engineer told me that my modem was potentially a problem as it was an old one and could fail. He swapped it out. However it made no difference to the fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I would suggest following Keiths advice and contact the forum moderators they can get this resolved for you and may be able to get the charge removed as the fault is still there
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the forum people and hope that someone can make sense of this and my stress levels can begin to return to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Well, I am one unhappy bunny. The escalation people still insist that I pay because they said that I booked the callout on the web, I must have known that if the engineer could not find a fault then I would be charged. So to me if you have an intermittent fault, DON'T call out an engineer unless you can guarantee demonstrating the fault?!

Unfortunately as I have just upgraded to infinity 2, I am stuck in contract, but rest assured, once that contract finishes, I will be moving elsewhere as I don't think BT have been very fair. Especially when I continue to have the fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

see if the mods can help you when they contact you
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

OK will wait to see their response. Next stop Watchdog?

0 Ratings