cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoyounkyouma
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Have people got offered anything decent for renewing contract?

Hi all,

So I'm currently on Infinity 1 + Phone for 29.99 and nearing the end of my term. I'm being offered Infinity 2 + Phone for 39.99 on a 24 month contract, and that's the best BT can do apparently (apparently Infinity 1 would be even more expensive..). Anyway, my question is - has anyone got any decent retention offers from BT? I don't mind leaving them  - it's just a hassle so would rather stay! Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Have people got offered anything decent for renewing contract?

Did you ring customer options on 0800 800 030?

0 Ratings
hoyounkyouma
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Yup that's the number I tried.

I'm not too fussed if that's the best they do for everyone, but it does seem a bit of a poor offer!
0 Ratings
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

I just checked MyBT website and they're offering existing customers the following:

"Unlimited Infinity 2 + Unlimited Weekend Calls

£24.50 a month for 24 months. 24 month contract"

Since line rental is £18.99 a month, that works out at £43.49, so I don't think the offer you have sounds that bad.

Can't you just cancel or let your current contract expire and sign up to a new contract?  Or transfer the line to a partner's name.  😉

BT website currently shows Infinity 1 + phone at £29.99 a month, with £59.99 upfront cost and a £125 BT Reward card.

Amortizing the whole lot over the 12 month contract, that works out at £24.57 a month.

Similarly, Infinity 2 + phone shows at £44.99 a month, with £9.99 upfront cost and a £125 BT Reward card.

Amortizing that over the 12-month contract works out at £35.41 a month.

There is something immoral about offering new customers a better deal than loyal customers, which just encourages the wasteful annual "car insurance merry-go-round", that is in nobody's interest.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

There is no such thing as "loyal" customers. There are only "new" customers and "present" customers.

Most people can not be bothered shopping around for new deals or leave if they don't get a deal so it makes no financial sense for any ISP, not just BT to give great deals to present customers. If it did you can bet that the accountants would be telling the ISPs to do it.

It is not easy to get the "new" customer deals if you are currently a BT customer. If it was I suspect every body would be doing it. 

You can not transfer your line to somebody else. If you stop being a BT customer the line/connection at the cabinet goes onto the list for any ISP to use on a first come first served basis.

Your present contract does not expire as such. Once your minimum term has finished you go onto a "rolling" contract. At that point any discounts you may have had on your package stop and you go onto the full price. You can leave this "rolling" contract by giving either 14 days notice if transferring to another ISP or 30 days if ceasing the line. 

If you just cancel in order to sign up to a new contract there are a few things that will possibly happen.

When you cancel, if you are not transferring to another provider, you will be hit with a £30 cease charge.

Your line will be disconnected on the agreed date and you will not have any service.

If you try and order the a package in your name before you have been disconnected it would indicate that you are a current BT customer and it would not allow you to have any "new customer" deals.

If you wait to order after you have ceased and paid the cease charge, you may have to wait for a new line depending on capacity on the cabinet.(your old line could be allocated to somebody else)

If you order a new package in your partners name it could be started on they day you cease your line but you will possibly need to wait because of capacity on the cabinet. (your old line could be allocated to somebody else)

You will loose your phone number with either of the above.

It may be worth considering doing if the "new customer" deals saves enough money that it outweighs the hassle to get them but I suspect most people wouldn't bother.

hoyounkyouma
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the info 🙂

TBH in this case the new customer deals work out at over 200 pounds cheaper per year.. so in this case it is actually worth it to shop around for me! Like I said, I would gladly stay with BT as I've been very happy with them (especially compared to Sky) but 200+ is a lot..

0 Ratings