Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Having problems with my Broadband and BT will not do any thing to help

Hi

For the last TWO years I have had problems with my broadband.

The problem is that my hub keeps re-synic it self. Yes I know that this supposed to happen but surly not up to 10 times a day, (some times 6 times in one hour) Every Day.

I have no extension  sockets just a Phone & broadband hub connected to the master socket

I know the problem is neither with my BT Hub or my phone as I have replaced with another of each and the problem still persists.

I have checked my wiring, BT have checked the exchange all appears to be OK. BT sent a engineer to check my master socket and because they could not find a fault I got charged £80 and I still got the problem.

I explained to the engineer that I think the problem is the Length of cable between the point were the line comes in and my master socket (it over 9 meters long) which goes all round my flat (maybe picking up electrical interference) , but they have refused to move my master socket to make it shorter.

What else can I do ? It BT responsibility for the wiring between the point the line accesses my property and the master socket but they wont do any think to correct matters. All I am told they could send a engineer but it will cost if they can't find the fault.

As I said this problem is been going on for over two years , I can not use my laptop, Internet radio without losing connection after a hour or so. I am getting very frustrated and thinking of cancelling my BT contract, and going to some where else.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
JoshJackson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Having problems with my Broadband and BT will not do any thing to help

Can you try and move your computer closer? Perhaps not permenantly, just to see if the length is the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Is there any noise onthe phone when making a call if there is try the bt quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you do phone 151 and report a voice fault but do not mention broadband
0 Ratings
Highlighted
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Hi thanks for reply

The problem is not with my computer. Its only about 2 feet away from the hub

It my Broadband hub that problem is with. The Blue broadband light on the Hub goes out, after a couple of seconds comes back on flashing orange, then after about 30 seconds it stops flashing and remains a steady orange, then returns to blue again. 

I know the hub is supposed to this occasionally to re-synic for difference in line speed etc, but surly not every day and some times about ten times in a day. I have sat here and watch it do it even up to six times in a hour. It not a faulty hub as I have replaced that and still the problem persists

I can hear intermittent broadband type noise on my phone but again I have replaced the filter many times (and the telephone) but the fault is still there.

I think it must be electrical pick up.

I have no extension socket (just the hub and phone connected to the Master socket)

I have asked BT to come and shorten the cable between were the line Enters my Flat and Master socket, (The cable is over 9 Meters long and goes all round my flat before getting to the MASTER socket.

But  even though cable before the master socket is BT's responsibility they refuse without me paying a call out charge of about £80 to come out to shorn it.

So for the last Two years I have the problem but I am getting very frustrated now, so am thinking that when my contract runs out in a couple of months I will go to another suppler that will move my master socket for Free. Why Should I pay £20 pounds a month for rubbish service>

0 Ratings
davedrizen
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I done this at the start of my problem two years ago. They sent a open reach engineer who checked my master socket listerned to the noise on my phone, then told me its a broadband problem would do no more (would not even move the master socket to shorten the 9 meter length of cable. I got charged £80 for a wasted call
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I can hear intermittent broadband type noise on my phone but again I have replaced the filter many times (and the telephone) but the fault is still there.

I think it must be electrical pick up.  that is a line fault that needs fixing a report of noise on your  line  without mentioning broadband need to be reported  call bt on 151 to report it   before you call them also do the bt quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 there should be no noise at all any should be reported again not mentioning broadband   once fixed your broadband will improve

0 Ratings