cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Held to ransom by BT

After 18 months of no problems my landline has suddenly stopped accepted calls. It rings out, has a dialling tone & my broadband works fine. Phoned the lovely people at BT & after nearly an hour on the phone was told the problem wasn't at their end & it would cost me £130! Robbery! I pay every month for a service which I am not getting , this would not be acceptable anywhere else. So after deciding to cancel my contract I'm then informed that it will cost me £30!!! It would seem that BT are more than happy to take your money but less inclined to provide customer service and support. Advice for any new potential customers, don't bother.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Held to ransom by BT

You are informed about the £130 charge which is only payable only if the fault is with your equipment after the master socket. ie a faulty phone  or internal wiring all of which is your responsibilty or if there is damage caused by you to the BT equipment.

There is no charge if the fault is before the master socket.

If you prefer you can get your own engineer out to check your home wiring etc after the master socket, which might be cheaper than getting BT but you would obviously still need to pay him.

The £30 cease charge is only payable if you do not move to another provider. It is in BT's Terms and Conditions that you will have no doubt read before signing up to BT.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Have a local engineer coming to repair a BT problem, wonder if they will pay my bill? Looking forward to signing up to sky!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Do not accept the poor service from BT. Just remember you are paying good money.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

If you are so sure that the problem is not on your side of the master socket or with any of the wiring in your property or with your equipment get BT to send out an engineer to repair the fault. As you have already been informed,  you will not be charged if the fault is with BT equipment up to the master socket.

Have you carried out any checks of your own. See this video.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13897/related/1

EDIT: Sky also charge for sending out an engineer if the fault is found to be with your equipment or wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

After being on the phone for nearly an hour and struggling to understand an operators poor english I was exasperated. I am fully aware that sky will charge and feel I would rather pay them that BT. I am totally fed up with the impersonal poor service that BT provide and general attitude towards any complaints. The don't care and it's not their fault attitude. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that any more.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 15

Hi AmyT,

When anyone reports a fault to BT there are checks that we get them to run through. These checks are there to help us locate where the fault is and to help rule out the customer's internal wiring and equipment as being a possible cause.

It is important that these checks are done because if we do send an engineer and the fault is found to be with the internal wiring or equipment connected to master socket, than a charge would be raised to cover the cost of sending an engineer. If the fault is found on the BT Network then no charge would be raised for sending an engineer. We do need to advise all our customers of the potential charge when booking an engineer 

If you take a read here - Engineer Home Improvement Service – information and charges for more information.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

When reporting the two faults (so far...) this month on my mother's phone line, I was warned about the £129.99 charge, but the warning was not the same as mentioned here.

Not only could it apply if the fault was due to faulty internal wiring or equipment, we were warned that it would also apply if the fault was due to damage to the line ANYWHERE on the property (including before the master socket) if due to trees, corrosion or other causes.

Not sure charging the customer for corrosion to an external line could be considered fair though. IF BT installed a line which can't cope with being outside, then that's their problem not the customers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

damage by trees for example is not Openreach's responsibility it is the owner of the tree who is responsible
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

I never said it was Openreach's responsibility to fix damage by trees.

I was pointing out that the statements in this thread that the £130 charge is only payable if the fault is after the master socket/ test socket is incorrect and not what BT Retail's customer services are telling users, nor what BT state here.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-home-improvement-service-%E2%80%93-i... .

0 Ratings