Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 13

Hello all, move question.

Go to solution

Hi I have ordered bt infinity 2 I have been a sky fibre customer for years and fibre max for couple more. Currently my router syncs at 79987 down and 20000 up, and a throughput of 75. Is that likely to be similar with bt.

Can i ask is my move over just a simple software change or does it involve the physical moving of cables at the cabinet or exchange. I am however hopeful after reading posts if I have any problems with my connection the forum members and mods do offer help, which would be a big plus for me as I can't use the phone to call bt help desk ect as I'm deaf. So naturally I am slightly worried about any change.

Thank you.. Zombie. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Hello all, move question.

Go to solution
You'll be allocated a different port in the cabinet.
Other than that, the physical networo doesn't change, so there should be no reason your speeds will be any different.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
It's also worth mentioning that BT and Sky will use slightly different algorithms to control the linespeed. But if your line was fault free with Sky it should be fault free with BT, but you may notice a slight drop in speed as stated but not worth mentioning.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
You'll be allocated a different port in the cabinet.
Other than that, the physical networo doesn't change, so there should be no reason your speeds will be any different.

Thanks Webby that's reassuring it only a port change. Hopefully it will be a good one. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
There's actually very little difference in port efficiency inside the dslam, they will all be subject to roughly the same levels of crosstalk if it exists within.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@RogerB wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that BT and Sky will use slightly different algorithms to control the linespeed. But if your line was fault free with Sky it should be fault free with BT, but you may notice a slight drop in speed as stated but not worth mentioning.

Thanks RogerB appreciated, a slight drop should be no problem as long as I can video sign with friends and family and download / upload messages from the cloud, keep my door cctv, fire alarms ect live it should be fine. My old fibre 40/10 from a couple of years ago did start to struggle luckily fibre max was just starting to be rolled out in my area. I don't think I have had any faults on my line but I wouldn't know.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
You would soon get to know ... as line noise, crackle or impulse noise will soon deteriorate the connection, but nothing should change even though you're changing supplier as the line is the same, and it's on the same network as mentioned. But the only change is line algorithms that run it. BT's tend to be a tad critical moreso than alternative providers, but as said if the line is fine, it should be ok to go ... but maybe expect a slight drop in linespeed, perhaps. If not ... good. e.g. it may use 3-4 megs more overhead .... nothing. And if that's the case don't worry about it, it'll not affect good throughput.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@RogerB wrote:
You would soon get to know ... as line noise, crackle or impulse noise will soon deteriorate the connection, but nothing should change even though you're changing supplier as the line is the same, and it's on the same network as mentioned. But the only change is line algorithms that run it. BT's tend to be a tad critical moreso than alternative providers, but as said if the line is fine, it should be ok to go ... but maybe expect a slight drop in linespeed, perhaps. If not ... good. e.g. it may use 3-4 megs more overhead .... nothing. And if that's the case don't worry about it, it'll not affect good throughput.

Thank you very much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@RogerB wrote:

Its actually the reverse Roger, BT implement a 'Speed' DLM profile whilst Sky implement the 'Standard' profile.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I think I tapped on solved whist scrolling, not to worry you have both been very helpful, many thanks. 

Zombie. 

0 Ratings