cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Help! BT appear to have deleted my whole email account

Hi, first post, im a bit desperate, on 7th April, i couldnt access my 20 year old email account,

to be fairly brief, BT help had to refer to level 2, took 4 days to speak to someone, they told me

computer says havent used account since August 2015, and it may have been deleted, of course,

this is complete rubbish, they send their bills to me every month !

So, im waiting for another call back, 8 days later, i think they are looking on the server or something.

Has anyone else heard of this problem or got any ideas to help, or can direct me to a higher authority

to complain, i dont think the help people are aware of what a nightmare situation i am in!

Please help Man Sad

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Help! BT appear to have deleted my whole email account

@Andyberkshire wrote:

Hi, first post, im a bit desperate, on 7th April, i couldnt access my 20 year old email account,

to be fairly brief, BT help had to refer to level 2, took 4 days to speak to someone, they told me

computer says havent used account since August 2015, and it may have been deleted, of course,

this is complete rubbish, they send their bills to me every month !

So, im waiting for another call back, 8 days later, i think they are looking on the server or something.

Has anyone else heard of this problem or got any ideas to help, or can direct me to a higher authority

to complain, i dont think the help people are aware of what a nightmare situation i am in!

Please help Man Sad

Hi, welcome to the forums.

A couple of weeks back, access to email was faulty for pop3/imap for some users, though fine for webmail. It was fixed a few days ago.

Which service are you on, BTYahoo or BTMail ? You can check here :-

http://pbtcsc.bt.motive.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

However - that checker can be slow at times, and timeout - it will probably also timeout if the account doesn't exist.

How are you accessing your email account? What sort of error messages are you receiving?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Thanks Andy, just tried the email checker, it fairly quickly told me there seems to be a problem with your account,

please can you contact us on 08001114567 to discuss further.

not much point as their level 2 promised to call me today between 1.15 and 3.15, expect ill have to chase them!

I was accessing from the BT home page , at least a few times a week, although mostly using ipad/phone.

level 2 have now changed my BT id to my icloud mail, and set me up a new different bt email address, which of course

is pretty useless as its not picking up any emails sent to the missing account!

I could at least accept losing any emails from the past, but would hope they get the original address back for

all future stuff, cant even access my address book!!

I dont have any faith in BT sorting this one out at the moment!

Cheers

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Same might have happened here. 

I've just been contacted by a friend who's almost frantic. He has a business using a btinternet account, with several sub-accounts. As of a day or two ago, the sub-accounts have disappeared - to be replaced by some strange other accounts, with sensible names but names that mean nothing to him.

BT helpline were as unhelpful as usual, claiming that the accounts never even existed - which, considering he has emails with those addresses on, is an interesting comment. They obviously cannot access whatever transaction history would tell them what has happened. 

After 6 hours (!) on the phone to BT, he's asked to speak to "a manager", and has been told that someone will ring him back this afternoon.

I've googled for similar problems, but couldn't find anything. Andy's message is similar, though it sounds as though his complete email system has been deleted. 

Obviously is could be that his account has been hacked in some way, but why would somebody create new accounts if that was the case? It does sound a bit more like a systems problem. 

I'll update this forum to let you know what happens. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@tyke wrote:

Same might have happened here. 

I've just been contacted by a friend who's almost frantic. He has a business using a btinternet account, with several sub-accounts. As of a day or two ago, the sub-accounts have disappeared - to be replaced by some strange other accounts, with sensible names but names that mean nothing to him.

BT helpline were as unhelpful as usual, claiming that the accounts never even existed - which, considering he has emails with those addresses on, is an interesting comment. They obviously cannot access whatever transaction history would tell them what has happened. 

After 6 hours (!) on the phone to BT, he's asked to speak to "a manager", and has been told that someone will ring him back this afternoon.

I've googled for similar problems, but couldn't find anything. Andy's message is similar, though it sounds as though his complete email system has been deleted. 

Obviously is could be that his account has been hacked in some way, but why would somebody create new accounts if that was the case? It does sound a bit more like a systems problem. 

I'll update this forum to let you know what happens. 

Hi.

Which service is your friend's account on, BTYahoo or BTMail ?

You can check here :-

http://pbtcsc.bt.motive.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

There have been cases of users thinking that they "own" an email address, not being able to login - due to password error - and have managed to get the support people to give them access - despite not being able to correctly answer the security questions. (I have complained about this in the past, and so far has been ignored by support).

It can be a genuine problem, if so - then the address associated with the broadband number should be sent a letter with the method of getting the account back.

The non-genuine reason is the person has just got the wrong information - meaning that the actual person that "owns" the address will be seriously compromised with no access due to the password being altered for the person getting in contact. This new person can then read all the stored emails, as well as manage the sub accounts if the address was the primary.

The new person may have the same name as the original person, but completely disregards that fact and believes that their name will be their email address - hence the issue and confusion. (Although in this case, the password clearly hasn't been altered).

It is therefore possible that a "new" person sees all those other sub accounts and simply deletes them, adding their own. Are the contacts the same ?

If the account was hacked, it might be fairly obvious (e.g. a forwarding email address set).

The helpline are frankly useless, and don't tend really have much knowledge. They should be asking such things as what are the security questions/answers, associated telephone account etc etc.

It could be an account mishap, and just be a system fault showing wrong associations.

What your friend could do is email one or two of the strange contacts and see if they can shed any light on it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Re: E-MAIL LOG IN ON A CONTINUOUS LOOP - DESPAIRING!

Hi all,

i have the same problem! Got blocked on Thursday 12th May. Had email saying possible security breach,

so BT had blocked email account, and instructions to log in and change password. I did this, changed passwords, for

main account and 3 connected email addresses, after that , went to the 30 days to set up managing my log ins.

Now when i get into my account, it says no emails related to this account!

BUT!! this is the SECOND time in a space of weeks, i was without my emails for 3 weeks in April, spent hours on the phone

to level 2, who were liasing with another technical department, eventually i got emails back intact!

Never expected it to happen again, but it has ! Now waiting for level 2 to call me, which im told could be up to

5 days! I joined the forum in April and for info, I posted this on the 15th April.....

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Help-BT-appear-to-have-deleted-my-whole-email-account/m-p/1610810

Can i be added to the list of unhappy desperate BT customers?

Many thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

This is my post from April. I can see that many others are now having similar problems.

Eventually after 3 weeks of daily calls to 'help line' level 2, i got all emails and access back, plus all

emails in the missing 3 weeks, so there is hope for others in this situation!

UNFORTUNATELY, the same thing has happened again, cant access email account, i get into the continuous loop

that others are in. I first got an email saying there was a possible security breach, and to log in and change passwords,

I did this, managed to get into account, changed passwords on 3 email accounts, and then tried to log in to them,

but they had all disappeard, and got message, that no email addresses on this account!!

Now waiting for a call back from level 2 .

If any Mods can help , i would be extremely grateful, there must be an answer somewhere in my account records

, i'm just hoping it doesnt take as long this time !!!

Cheers

Andy

(my new post is here, https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Email/message-id/42180 

edit... dont think link works, using new browser on windows 10 having trouble with copy/paste!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

Hi @Andyberkshire,

The level 2 team should be able to help you with it. However; if you'd like us to chase them we will. You can get in touch with us by clicking on my username and then contact the mods.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Thanks Daniel,

Ive completed the help from moderators form today, as I havent heard from level 2 yet, first rang thursday 12th may,

and i expect they will delay again when they do ring, saying they will look into it, or refer it to another department,

just hoping it will be quicker than in April, when it took 3 weeks!

Any help very much appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Hi , just had call from Dierdre, BT digital care, unfortunately i was in Waitrose!

She sent me an email (to my icloud address which i can access though apple) with some instructions,

ive just clicked on the link which takes me to a page about compromised accounts, and instructions to

change my password

I cant do this , as it does not recognise my main account.

It responded to a secondary account, and took me to the recurring problem of

'preparing the journey etc.. to manage all BT services in omne place, so changed password

filled in name and security question then it asked me to log into email

AND TAKES ME TO THE SAME **bleep** PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more of my life wasted!!

If it was that easy , i coud do it myself

Sorry BT , i am seriously **bleep** off!

Andy

0 Ratings