Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Help! Been using a HH4, now want to use HH5 on an extension

Go to solution

Hi, can anyone help me please?

We have excellent Infinity and brilliant BT TV.

I have been using a HH4 on excellent wi-fi from my Computer, the HH4 is in the next room, where the master socket is.

There is a working fine phone extension in this room (where the computer is.)

BT kindly sent me a HH5 and I just tried to connect that to the phone extension - invalid IP address I'm told.

I understand a HH5 should work off a phone extension (I'd disconnected the HH4 before trying the HH5.)

If I can't get the HH5 to work in this room off the extension I'll have to pull up floorboards and put in two Ethernet cables (because I want move the BT Youview box in here as I'm the only one who uses it - the wife cannot be bothered with the stuff i want to watch, Cycling, Motorcycling etc. etc.) I don't really want to pull up the carpet and the floorboards  - a lot of work!

Am I trying to do the impossible or should I persevere with the HH5 on this extension?

Many thanks & regards.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help! Been using a HH4, now want to use HH5 on an extension

Go to solution

How were you using the HH4 on BT Infinity, as you would need the white Openreach modem.

If you do have the white Openreach modem, did you remember to unplug it from the phone socket?

Perhaps its a filtered master socket like one of these?

adslface.jpg

newnte.jpg

Any extension wiring would not carry the broadband signal.

Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks so much, you have answered my query straight away! Yes, I disconnected the HH4 completely from the master socket, and yes it has the white Openreach modem connected to it and on into the top connection on the master socket. The master socket is the bottom one in your two pictures.

I suppose I could connect a suitable phone cable to the master socket for the HH5 to work in this separate room.

Many many thanks, I know I have a job of work ahead of me.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

What you need is an RJ11 data extension cable which plugs into the top socket, and extends the broadband signal.

15M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler

This will also work on BT Infinity.

The phone socket on the front of the master socket would be no good, as that does not carry the broadband signal.

0 Ratings