Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Help - Identifying Master Socket

Hi,

I've recently moved into a 2 bedroom house built 2010, and there are a surprisingly large amount of telephone sockets. None of them have the larger telephone socket that I have had in previous properties that help easily identify the mastersocket...

I've had a look inside the all the sockets and I don't think any of them are the master socket. I had a lovely stable 12.5mb/s connection on the weekend when I moved in and this has slowly dropped to under 4mb/s so i'm keen to find the master socket and plug direclty in!

Can anyone help me identify which the master-socket is pictures below, or is it none of them and myI need to spend some serious time looking in the attic… I did take a intial look, but am struggling to find where the BT line enters the property....

Thanks in advance,

Down Cupboard 1.

down Cb 1.JPG

Down CupBoard 2

down cb 2.JPG

Lounge Mid

Lounge mid.JPG

Lounge Back

Lounge Back.JPG

Kitch

Kitc.jpg

Up1

Up1.JPG

Up 2

Up2.JPG

Openzone box outside...

Openzone box.JPG

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Help - Identifying Master Socket

The last picture is your master socket and is normally outside on the wall. The rest are just extension sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

But the last one is physically outside my property, so I can't plug into it...

So does that mean all the phone points inside the property are extensions and therefore equally as affected by any interference? i.e. there isn't a master socket inside the property?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Yes that is your master mounted on the wall outside

Do all your sockets feed back to the outside master which gives a star wired effect?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I think so but its difficult to tell... as the wiring appears to go into the cavity wall up into the attic and then disappears under insulation...

Separately... does my downstream 4536kbps seem low compare dto my 22.4db downstream noise margin???

Thanks again 🙂

21:47:57, 06 Mar. (151425.230000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 22.40 dB downstream
21:47:56, 06 Mar. (151424.230000) DSL line rate: 1128 Kbps upstream, 4536 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

you could start by removing the bell wire from terminal 3 of every socket this link explains more

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Due to all the disconnections / restarts of your hub  you are now in a banded profile you need to maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days and you will start to lift out of the banding automatically 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Noise margin very high and would normally suggest your connection is in a banded profile. You need to stay connected 24/7 for. 3/5 days and repost your stats

Do you have filters in all sockets

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I don't have filters in all the sockets but don't have anything else plugged in in the house other than the one filter and the home hub... Will going and buy some extra filters to plug into all the sockets make a difference even if nothing else is plugged into them?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

The problem if star wired back to outside master is you cannot eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem with your broadband. Ideally the first socket inside your home is an NTE5 and all your internal sockets are wired back to that socket