cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Help! Moved to a new build with ethernet ports in each room....

... however, the ONLY phone socket is in a small cupboard just next to the boiler. There are loads of cables connecting to ethernet ports, and no electric socket anywhere near it. Currently, we are running an extension from another room - across the hall - to said cupboard to stick the BT Home Hub into the phone socket, and get it working.

I have googled 'prewired ethernet' (which is what I think we have) but it is all very confusing. I called up BT - but the people I spoke to (3 of them) were all a little useless. All I want to know is:

(1) How can I use the ethernet ports without installing an electric socket in said cupboard?

(2) Do I now have to buy a VOIP phone just because ALL data sockets in any livable room is an ethernet socket? As said, there are NO phone lines apart from the one in the small cupboard.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help! Moved to a new build with ethernet ports in each room....

This doesn't answer your question but are you the first occupiers of the new build - if so are the builders still around because you could badger them/ask them about the set up and possibly indicate that it needs modifying( possibly as part of your snag list). The builders should have ensured a power source was available close to the socket.

How was your broadband activated as there doesn't seem to be an engineer visit involved.

I personally would have thought that there must be another socket somewhere, in the roof possibly ( this used to be the favourite place to put things that were networked related).

If you have a cordless phone this will be ok if you can connect the base station to the socket with power. I assume the socket is a new type with a seperate port for the phone line and your broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

No - we are the second occupiers. It's a flat, so no roof, etc. The previous occupier very obviously had Sky and internet installed etc. but I am not sure how!!!

As mentioned, there is only one phone socket in that tiny cupboard (that gets locked behind the small glass door).... and all other sockets around the house are ethernet sockets. If I google 'prewired ethernet', all I get is American or Australian websites - seems to be a new thing in the UK?!?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Anyone else have a clue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You would have to use  RJ11 to RJ45 adapters to connect the phone line into the Ethernet cabling, but I would not expect broadband to work very well with this arrangement, unless you filtered it off in the cupboard, and connected the router there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

We will have to resort to asking neighbours what they do.

Apparently, no one has ever complained about this set-up before, and the estate agents have seen others using their home hubs in the living room!!! 

0 Ratings