cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 68

Re: Help! Really stuck as to what is causing drop in speeds...

Go to solution
interference does not only come from other routers this link explains http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

your speedtests should always be done using a wired connection they are the only tests BT will except as wireless connections are not reliable
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 68

Go to solution
changing DNS will not affect your speed
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 23 of 68

Go to solution

Thank you but the inteference list to me, does not explain why there can be good (3.8mbps) speed for 4/5 days then poorer speeds for a few more days.  I am not changing anything on that list that may intefere.  It is such a frustration!!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 68

Go to solution
that can be caused by changes in connection speed when a hub restart occurs as it can take 3/5 days for the IP profile to catch up
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 25 of 68

Go to solution

Yes this is why I have not restaretd my router as i was told this - it says system up time is 303hours now.

If I wanted to check our wiring by connecting the ADSL router cable to the master socket, (line across middle, socket in lower part) what type of cable do i need?

Thank you 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 68

Go to solution
you remove the lower panel of the master socket and then connect a filter to the test socket and your hub to the filter
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 68

Go to solution
you should show a system up time and an adsl up time it is the adsl up time that is important
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 28 of 68

Go to solution
what type of cable do I need - adsl to ads? I need to buy a longer one
thanks
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 29 of 68

Go to solution
my connection time is only 41hrs whereas the system up time is 331hrs. What causes this? I have not unplugged pr restarted the router,
Thank you
Alex
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 30 of 68

Go to solution
Alex ... Let's see if we can help more. First off as John has stated the only speed test you can rely on is the BT speedtest, simply because it lies within the network boundary layer, where bandwidth is guaranteed for the test without external influence. Next thing is your rural location, that in itself may be an issue, maybe not ... we'll go there later. But one thing I want you to do is record and publish your linestats for both day time and night time connection, as I'm dubious about the SNRm. I won't go into detail yet but some exchanges have been and continue to be trialled against a reduced margin figure. So post stats for day and night (after dark at least) for the next two days. As well as that you need to get into a situation where everything is connected via ethernet ... wireless signals are not reliable and are open to all sorts of unreliability. If you can use the test socket on the main incoming phone socket, first one off the dropwire that would be good as it connects directly with the dslam at your exchange.
0 Ratings