Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seandefty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Help! Very misleading information on fibre in my area

Go to solution

Hi,

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Prior to buying the house which I have just purchashed I checked the bt openreach checker for firbe and it said it was at build status which was fine by me.  On Friday of last week I checked and it then said they were taking orders but that suddenly changed back to build staus. 

I then emailed openreach and got the below response:

Dear Sean,

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused due to our website.

In response to your query regarding Fibre Broadband availability ,I would like to inform you that we have investigated our network data and found that we’re not currently able to supply you with fibre service from our existing network. You are connected to Cabinet: XX  of Exchange: XXXXXXX, which isn’t currently included in the fibre roll-out because after our initial survey, it was established that there is no Current Project as of now, Openreach would not be able to upgrade this cabinet at this moment in time because upgradation is designed by the planning team which involves so many components – resources, cost, research and many more and which takes time to implement the plan.

I understand that you are looking for the options to get Fibre, I can suggest you about  getting together with neighbours or a local community group and raising the money to help build the network yourself. We offer a community fibre partnership scheme where we work with local communities to jointly fund fibre cabinets. We can’t always guarantee this will be feasible, but we’d be willing to look at it if you are interested. To find out more, visit our websitehttps://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/community-fibre-partnerships.aspx.

I would request you to keep an eye on our website: http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx, for latest updates.

Fibre Enquiries Team

How relibable is the openreach website as I am now now very confused from what the advisor has said and what the website is telling me. Having fibre in my new area was a massive factor in moving. Surely if the website was telling misleading information to potential customers they would take it down or fix it.

Postcode for my area is XXXX XXX.

I really dont know what to believe or think now.

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Help! Very misleading information on fibre in my area

Go to solution

As its Openreach that provide the network, the information they have given you would be correct.

The cabinet may have been initially planned, but deemed commercially nonviable.

BT Retail who manage this forum, are just another service provider, so would have no more information than that provided by Openreach.

0 Ratings
seandefty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I hope they update the checker website to reflect this as its very misleading.

If I didnt contact them I would be just sat waiting and waiting.

Has anyone else had issues like this?.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I assume you mean this checker?

Broadband availability checker

This is not accurate for just a postcode, which covers a wide area.

0 Ratings
seandefty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I see, that is the Openreach one, which would have indicated possible plans, but have now changed.

The one I mentioned shows services currently available at you address.

If you enter your BT Retail phone number into that form, it will tell you what is available.

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I've just recently moved from Mickley Close and as far as I know that cabinet is still down to be upgraded as part of the Digital Durham scheme.

There was an issue with the Openreach checker last Friday which caused it to show all non active cabinets as complete but with capacity issues. This were a database error.

I suggest contacting Digital Durham who should be able to confirm it will still be upgraded. I saw Openreach guys pulling fibre to the jointbox outside the cabinet a few months ago before I moved and contractors were repairing the pavement on the corner entrance to the estate last week where they had previously unblocked a duct.

I believe the response you have had from Openreach is in relation to their commercial program as it's a sinilar response I got from them years ago, before the BDUK plan to upgrade the cabinet was announced.

If you'd like to send me a message I can send you the name of the person I was dealing with at the council who is involved in the Digital Durham scheme.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
seandefty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you for your reply webby. I have dropped you a message.
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
There was a problem with the Openreach Where and When site last week. That's probably why it said you could order it when it wasn't available.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
I did say that 5 hours ago 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings