Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 56

Re: !Help been OK for last 2 weeks tonight ping has gone hey wire

Go to solution

Sunday **bleep** Sunday. Started at 16:00 today 4 hours earlier than normal. I hope the mods have enough information. I would like to request the deadlock letter anyway and take it to ofcom if no answer or resolution. 

think.jpg

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 42 of 56

Go to solution

Give time for BT to resolve the issue, if not the deadlock letter will not work in your favour. The deadlock letter should be the last option, also you don't take give Ofcom the deadlock letter. You will give it to the Ombudsman, who will then decide what happens next. They will review the case between you and BT...

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 56

Go to solution

I am not threatening is not in my nature. I can only really see myself going back to Sky, because if only one person is complaining about this apart for ZeeGY I have not seen many others. May main concern is the cost to do so if I do have to pay my way out. I did so much research on the forums making sure I made the right decision and didn't find to much issue in this area.

Why? Perhaps they think speed is the all singing dancing issue. Well for me it wasn't it was an added upgrade for my business.  It's been 2 days still have a few more to go before reply anyway Ryant. Gaming is a pasttime but I devote a lot of time to this, as I am sure others do. I know if others who game see this issue I may at least warn them off until it is resolved.

The other issues related around this is BBC Iplayer not streaming well, slow web page loading etc.

0 Ratings
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 56

Go to solution

I had a nice night (not)

think2.jpg

Explantion as to what you are actually seeing if you are reading this and wonder what it is exactly you are looking at.

I am on FTTP package that is Fibre To The Premises not Fibre To the Cabinet, but the best connection BT or any cable provider can offer and yet. 

explanation.jpg

0 Ratings
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 56

Go to solution

Update:

I have contacted BT today they want me to do test with BT homehub before 20:00 it's around there or after that the problem occurs. I don't know what that will actually achieve. They want BT wholesale speed test. As we know speed is not issue. I guess it will give some data back as I have to go to further diagnostics which normally you can't do on FTTP. On a side note with H3 I can only get 9 -10 MB up yet with my own equipment I get 21mb, but i would rather not talk about speed lol. I would like to resolve latency more.

A person also from the forums contacted me and they are also looking into the issue and agree it looks like a congestion issue, and have passed my details and this thread to another department. On the plus side he said "they have before always been able to resolve issues like this". I only hope they can.

0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 46 of 56

Go to solution

Can you also mention me / forward me these contacts via IM please? power in numbers and that. my connection is still very much broken here!

0 Ratings
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 56

Go to solution

I am still trying to analyse my connection.

Seems a lot to do with routing and congestion. Apart from the fact that the route taken for traffic on BT's network goes to London then to (edited Skipton) and then back to London and then to the wider world.

I might be wrong with above, but I have been trying to find out the locations of the hops with IP Lookup.

Seems a weird way to route traffic. Probably legacy. As you can see from the charts I have documented here congestion is also coming into play, but it's another routing issue as well. There seems to be two cores. Core 1 Ealing and Core 2 Ilford.

Tonight on Ilford a server I am currently playing on based in UK returns. Taken before reboot of the modem.

Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=159ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=146ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=115

Tonight on Ealing a server I am currently playing on based in UK returns taken 2 mins after reboot of the modem.

Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=115
Reply from 173.199.79.36: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=115

So dependent on what core routing I seem to be. Can affect the ping to a UK server. I have to physically turn off the modem and plug back in to change core route. Although during the day when it is not busy the route auto changes and alternates between the 2 cores over different tracert runs without restarting modem.

Also because the chart is coming from Thinkbroadband.com it reports different pings dependant on which ever core it is running on.

thinkbroadband.com could be 18-20ms on one core and could be 120-140 on another.

Tuesday hasn't been too busy so this is Ilford nice ping and nice trace taken before modem reboot.

ilford.jpg

Same Day after reboot FTTP Modem on Ealing taken after reboot of modem.

ealing.jpg

My Conculsion (Please correct me if I am wrong and this is all conjecture)

Thinkbroadband ping returns a higher ping on Ealing than Ilford at a given same time during peak hours., because of the routing and congestion.

When the system has become heavily congested or heavily in use The auto switching of cores doesn't seem to happen so much, but when it does the in game ping increases dramatically. Hence I can be playing in a game at around 49ms and then all of a sudden I can be at 150-200ms.

Also the results from thinkbroadband cannot be taken as read because of the routing the ping on the charts only really reflects which core it is presently stuck on. Although it probably does show some congestion also. I have though on a earlier instance this week where ping were high on both cores routes which is probably heavy use / congestion coming into play. I say congestion, because during the non Peak hours both cores report the same or similar pings in game it is only when peak times and more users online that the routings seem to produce different results.

Therefore I think If BT were to change thier routing we would then have correct pings or what we expect of a server based in the UK going to all UK servers. At present one server in UK might return 18ms on server join screen and another 100ms yet both based in UK, but if switching cores it will be the other way round.

I know this is all my own findings, but if anyone else is having an issue like this please chip in your 2 cents worth and I am only trying to fathom out why my own connection is doing, or why I am having this issue. 

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 48 of 56

Go to solution

It's congestion without a doubt, they need to install more backhaul which I hope they're in the process of doing as re-routing will not cure the problem. If it does it will only be temporarily... also you can't always re-route people sometimes there are no other options.

0 Ratings
thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 56

Go to solution

I really think it's a bit of both, but routing would probably solve a lot of this problem. The thinkbroadband.com results are tainted with the routing, and really until the routing issue is sorted can only be taken as a guide not a difinitive state of a persons connection. There is congestion though happening and it effects both routes, and like you say, and until they expand the network or increase the bandwith accross it. This may be here for a while. I really hope not ;(

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 50 of 56

Go to solution

You could set one up at f8lure as well, they have two different servers. There own and AAISP both will provide different routes more than likely.