cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LR
Beginner
Message 21 of 25

Re: Help diagnosing connection to sites on particular server (where server is not the problem!)

Go to solution

We keep the hub switched on, but my experience with it shows that it nevertheless changes IP addresses every few days, for some reason.  (If it does this, I'll know what to do now...)

Yep, proving all this is the challenge.  And getting BT to do anything about it proved impossible.  I don't know why they can't have some sort of support process such as we have enjoyed today.

Incidentally, the telnet experiment with Putty still returns a 400, but that's another issue that has become largely irrelevant now.  🙂

LR

0 Ratings
LR
Beginner
Message 22 of 25

Re: Help diagnosing connection to sites on particular server (where server is not the problem!)

Go to solution

The problem has reappeared over night.  😞

I'm wondering if my IP address has changed again - from now on I'm keeping note of them.

Currently it's 86.161.  Going to disconnect / reconnect...

LR

0 Ratings
LR
Beginner
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

Following the reconnect, the IP address is still 86.161.  Only the last two numbers have changed.

However, it has solved the problem again...

LR

0 Ratings
Highlighted
raymie67
Expert
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

I have seen this type of thing before as well, at one point I had two homes, one here with the BT line and one in Edinburgh with Virgin cable, it was not unknown for one of my own sites to be unobtainable here but if I remote connected to my other location I could see it fine.

If you want to track it down you try keeping a note of traceroutes for working and non working cpnnections. I would imagine that you will fine all the ones not working have the same cluster of BT routers somewhere in the path, when I had issues it was always one of the Edinburgh based ones (not a suprise since that was where all my traffic tended to go via anyway).

If you do narrow it down I would suggest you report it to the mods here, in the past I have never managed to get anyone on the normal helpdesk to understand the issue and pass the info on to wholesale for resolution.

In my experience the issue never lasted more than a few days so you may find it goes away eventually but I guess in this case it could be a hardware issue and not a routing table one so perhaps not

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution

@LR wrote:

Following the reconnect, the IP address is still 86.161.  Only the last two numbers have changed.

However, it has solved the problem again...

The other thing that changes each time you disconnect/connect is the 2 assigned DNS servers (from a pool of BT DNS Servers).

Keep note of the DNS IP addresses as well.  If (when) the problem reappears, try changing the DNS Server IP addresses on your PC rather than at the hub.  That way you can eliminate between DNS or general routing.

I have noticed packets taking different routes in the BT network depending upon whether you get an odd or even IP address (and again it is consistent), so I guess this is part of the load balancing strategy employed by BT.  So it might not be the first 2 numbers in your IP that matter, but a different pattern.

Charlie

0 Ratings