cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhowarth
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Help! dslchecker returns inconsistent information?

I can't get a straight answer out of https://www.dslchecker.bt.com whether ultrafast broadband is available in my street. If I type in my phone number (BT landline) it says I can only get 2 Mb/s but if I type in my address it says FTTC is available (Stratford-upon-Avon Cabinet 18) at speeds of up to 18 Mb/s.

I know it says a phone number search is more reliable than an address search, but if I type in the numbers of my next door neighbours either side of me it also says 18 Mb/s is available. We all connect to the same telegraph pole and same cabinet, so why does just my phone number say FTTC is not available? And when I saw a BT Openreach engineer working at the cabinet he said there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get fibre as everyone in the street can and he wasn't aware of any capacity issue. But BT won't accept an order from me because they say it's not available for my number!

Help... what can I do?! I desperately need faster broadband for my home business and will gladly pay for an additional line if there was any guarantee that would help, but will it? To recap:

• Search on my phone number says FTTC is not available
  • Search on my address says FTTC is available
  • Search on neighbours' phone numbers says FTTC is available (I tried half a dozen and they all get it except me)
  • Search on my postcode says FTTC is not available

-Rolf

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Help! dslchecker returns inconsistent information?

@rhowarth wrote:

Help... what can I do?! I desperately need faster broadband for my home business and will gladly pay for an additional line if there was any guarantee that would help, but will it? To recap:

-Rolf

If you are running a home business have you tried contacting BT Business.  This forum is for BT Residential.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
leetuppen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

I am having the same "computer says no" problem. I have been contacted by a moderator who can check my problem with Openreach, not that I have had any reply yet. I think there are lots of mistakes in the Openreach data by just reading this forum.

Maybe you can confirm if you have home broadband that you also use for business, then I would expect a moderator to contact you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@leetuppen wrote:

Maybe you can confirm if you have home broadband that you also use for business, then I would expect a moderator to contact you.

residential lines should not be used for business according to the T&C although many check work emails and occasional business use

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rhowarth
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Forget I said home business, that's not relevant! Let me rephrase it to say I'd like to do more to run a business from home but I'm unable to because I can't get good enough broadband. All I meant is I'm willing to pay for the service. Currently I'm a BT Retail customer but I'd happily sign up with BT Business or anyone else if that will give me faster broadband. The trouble is that the BT Openreach database says it's not available on my line.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 11

@rhowarth wrote:

I can't get a straight answer out of https://www.dslchecker.bt.com whether ultrafast broadband is available in my street. If I type in my phone number (BT landline) it says I can only get 2 Mb/s

Can you post the full results, remembering to delete just your phone number first

Check this out if you are prepared to have additional lines :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/bonding-three-four-ADSL-connections

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
rhowarth
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

This is the result for my phone number:

MyPhoneNumber.png

This is the result for my address:

MyAddress.png

This is the result for my neighbour's phone number (same building, same telegraph pole):

NeighbourPhoneNumber.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Did your checker results for your ohone number not show a cabinet number like the other results or did you delete it?  When you don't see a cab number that normally suggests and exchange only line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rhowarth
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

No cabinet number is shown for my phone number.

Why would my property have an exchange only line if all the surrounding properties connect to the cabinet, and we all have overhead phone lines going to the same pole?

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 11

@rhowarth wrote:

No cabinet number is shown for my phone number.

Why would my property have an exchange only line if all the surrounding properties connect to the cabinet, and we all have overhead phone lines going to the same pole?

Could well do.  Do you know how close you are to the exhange ?  Are the surrounding properies of similar vintage ?

If you are on an E/O line you will have to wait until they either offer FTTP or install a PCP and Fibre cabinet outside your exchange.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings