cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Help needed....Smart hub or extender kit?

I have just moved my bt hub into the kitchen and the reception for broadband in the front room is very poor now ( I did have the computer in the front room connected by cable to the hub but the wire from the kitchen got trapped in the door, so had to move the hub nearer tto the plug).

I have looked in BT shop and there is a new BT smart Hub, or should I go for the Broadband extender 600 kit, if the latter can it be plugged into an extention socket for the electric plug part, I need some advice please.

Or should I just extend the cable from the source to the hub and reposition the hub next to my computer?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help needed....Smart hub or extender kit?

The smart hub is unlikely to help, and it seems to have problems.

This is one solution  http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

It will work on the normal short extension leads, but not an extension reel.

Extending the RJ11 cable using a data extension kit, may be a better option if  its not too far away.

Look for 15M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks so much for replying so fast, I will study and think on what you have suggested, I'll scrub the smart hub off my list of options, so one down and others to try .

Is a normal extension kit a rectangle one with about 4 sockets, compared to an extension reel that is round? thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@Bluebell wrote:

Is a normal extension kit a rectangle one with about 4 sockets, compared to an extension reel that is round? thanks

Yes, they work just fine, provided they do not have inbuilt surge protectors.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I am still dithering about all this, I have read the User Guide for the link you gave me for the hotspot kit, the first thing I read was do not use extension lead, and I couldn't figure if the hub still needed the electric plug as well as the hotspot plug?
The other suggestion sounds easier if I can find someone to drill me some holes in the doors or wall to get the cable through from the kitchen to the front room, so Mr Beddoe you have certainly given me lots to think on. Thank you, if you can think of another easier method I would be very grateful.
0 Ratings