cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceciliad
Message 1 of 7

Help needed - Torrents stopped working

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and I really need your help.

I just moved into a flat where they already had BT. Wireless was crappy so I connected my iMac via cable and everything seemed to be fine.

I use the internet *a lot*, downloading via iTunes, watching tv online, downloading (legal) torrents...

I went over 100gb download (I think - pretty safe guess, but I don't have access to the main BT email address). I know that at this point BT caps your speeds, ok, annoying but whatever.

MY PROBLEM IS: at the same time, torrents stopped downloading, at all. At 8am as well as 8pm. They are still uploading (10K), but not downloading at all. The torrent shows 0 peers (but I know this isn't true, they just stopped point blank).

Can someone help a donzel in distress?

I have NO idea why this is happening. The port in the torrent client (Transmission for Mac) is open.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
ceciliad
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help needed - Torrents stopped working

up
0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi

What torrent client are you using and have you setup port forwarding on the router?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

She's already stated that she's using Transmission and the port is open.

I don't really use Transmission myself.. When Torrenting I use KTorrent. Dunno if that is available for Macs though ?

Ubuntu58.jpeg

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi

sorry missed that bit, need to read more carefully, I would suggest accessing the router and ensure the port forwarding has been setup, this is the most likely cause.

0 Ratings
spacepilot
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

assuming that you are on option 3 'unlimited' the 100gb is now 300gb, and has been so for the past month - i downloaded 109.51 gb in September, and did not get my 80gb warning. so, you will not of been capped. they do restrict ftp at busy times though.

proof of the uprated fup is here - posted by Kerryg, the BTcommunity manager http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/WHERE-IS-OUR-USAGE-MONITOR-BT/m-p/41085#

do a speed test here http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and post your results.

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

0 Ratings
ceciliad
Message 7 of 7

Hi guys, thanks for all the help!

I did a few things, a few were those you suggested, and it's working again!

* I deleted and reinstalled Transmission, cleaning all the preferences etc

* Reloaded all the torrents

* Went into BT preferences and opened the traffic to 'bittorrent'

anyhow, it's working now, so something must have gone right 🙂

brilliant news on the 300GB also, thanks!

0 Ratings