Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bille
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Help needed YouView.

Hi  everyone.

I am currently  a Virgin Media customer and am considering BT Infinity with a Essential TV package with youview box.
I understand that youview is essentially a freeview HD reciever, but I would have a BT Vision icon which I could use to basically stream extra BT content. From August 2013 this content will include BT Sport 1 and 2 and ESPN. I can get upto 76 meg connection at my address.

I have some questions

i       am I right upto now with my thinking.
ii       will other channels be available by using the BT Vision icon, as above ie MTV, National Geographic.
iii      would I be able to record this content.
iv      do forum members reccomend YouView or BT Vision, their does seem to be  some confusion

Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Canarypilot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help needed YouView.

I have switched from BT Vision to Youview as new menu on Vision is awful to say the least. I have lost count how many times i have nearly thrown the remote out of the window.

On Youview I have had to accept that at the moment you cannot get the Extra channels that you can get when you upgrade on BT Vision box. I believe these will eventually come via the BT Vision icon but BT cannot say when at this time. Using the BT Vision icon you can access other on demand programmes such as film but these are normally fairly old films.

I will let you know next week what I think of Youview box.
MartinH
Expert
Message 3 of 5

@bille wrote:

Hi  everyone.

I am currently  a Virgin Media customer and am considering BT Infinity with a Essential TV package with youview box.
I understand that youview is essentially a freeview HD reciever, but I would have a BT Vision icon which I could use to basically stream extra BT content. From August 2013 this content will include BT Sport 1 and 2 and ESPN. I can get upto 76 meg connection at my address.

I have some questions

i       am I right upto now with my thinking.
ii       will other channels be available by using the BT Vision icon, as above ie MTV, National Geographic.
iii      would I be able to record this content.
iv      do forum members reccomend YouView or BT Vision, their does seem to be  some confusion

Many thanks for your help.

Ish.

The sports channels and (when they come) the extra channels will be available via the standard EPG not via the BT icon which is the access point for On Demand content from BT.

YouView have said that these sort of channels, delivered via IPTV, will be recordable. Whether this is at launch or after a further  software update hasn't been confirmed but I suspect at launch. 

YouView is the future, BT vision is a legacy platform with a new software layer, I'd go for YouView. 

bille
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

It would be interesting to hear your views, generally the youview box seems to get good reviews. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Canarypilot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for update on extra channels coming via EPG. Another recent post indicated these would come via on demand which would be a pain.

The Youview box is a different world to the Vision box. It is so easy to use and to watch iplayer programmes. It only took 10 mins to set up and I love the HD channels BBC, ITV, CH 4 ..

The BT Vision part as expected still leaves a lot to be desired but it was my choice to carry on with unlimited as my family use it. It is SO slow. After selecting this option it takes ages for it to load up. Hopefully at some stage this will be fixed. I hoped having infinity would speed the process up but no.

In summary I highly recommend Youview and look forward to all the extra channels coming soon.
0 Ratings