cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cityangel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Help regd re wifi connections

I use bt and have the bt hub 3 and have checked and am opted into bt fon or bt wifi which it is called now.

When i go into a bt hot spot like costa coffee it bring up the option to connect to bt fon/bt wifi on my galaxy s2 and chromebook fine.

When I'm at home I used to at my old house be able to connect to bt fon when I wanted to save some of my 10gb bt usuage but now at my new house it doesnt come up as a wifi network option on either the phone or chromebook.

Any help would be appreciated
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Help regd re wifi connections

If you are opted in then its possible your hub configuration has not updated to enable BT Wifi.

Check on the hub manager to see if it says you are opted it.

If it says you are opted in, and its not transmitting BT wifi, then opt out. Wait 30 minutes, then opt back in again.

Then make sure you leave your hub on all of the time, to give BT configuration manager, time to upload the configuration to your home hub. This may take a few days.

cityangel
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

It said I was opted in so opted out an hour ago and have now registered again and the status in hub manager now says im opted in. So are you saying it takes a few days for the hub to configure to show bt wifi as a network option on my various devices

Thanks for your help Keith

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

It may take up to a week to activate
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

To add....

If you were to factory reset the hub, the BTWifi SSID will be there after the hub has rebooted - this saves waiting;)

But if you've made any changes to the hub settings you'll lose these:(

Or

Wait till around 23:00 (tonight) and switch the hub power off, wait 2 mins and switch it back on. This should speed up the opt in command, thus the BTWifi SSID should be seen as transmitting. This also works when opting out. Should it not start the transmission of the SSID, then wait another 24 hours and repeat the power cycle of the hub - not too many times though.....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@ DS - when my hub decided to "lose" the WiFi I did all your stuff to no avail and unfortunately had to wait 3 weeks for the s*dding thing to eventually start to transmit the signals again. I'm assuming that this was an unusual case but it shows that things can be unpredictable Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

One word jumps out for me in your reply - unpredictable. That CAN imho be used in many instances regarding BT, their products and their services.

cityangel
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Thanks everyone for your help everyone, I've opted out and in again and will try turning the hub off tonight and then on again to see if bt fon then shows up on my list of networks.

0 Ratings
cityangel
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

I followed your advice and opted out and then back in an hour later. Then received an email telling me I had opted in.

But 2 days later still no sign of BT Fon netwrok on my phone or tablet. Then tried turning the hub off for 30 mins and back on but still nothing.

Do I just need to be patient and wait a few days or do I need to restart or reset my hub

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

The clue was in one of my replies above - factory reset;)

But you could try waiting:|

A restart isn't a reset;)

0 Ratings