cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Help with 350Kb/sec slow backup speed from PC through Home Hub 4 to Buffallo NAS

Hi and help!!.

Recently bought a Buffallo Linkstation which is set up as a NAS on my home network via Home Hub 4. I'm getting data transfer speeds of 350Kb/s and an expected time of 4 days to backup my music files to the NAS!! With great help fault-finding from Buffallo, the hub has been identified as the source of the bottleneck. My PC, which has the original music files is using the Gb port , and the NAS drive a 100Mb port on the Home Hub.

Any suggestions as to why the Hub is passing the data so slowly, and what I can do about it??

Thanks in hope.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Help with 350Kb/sec slow backup speed from PC through Home Hub 4 to Buffallo NAS

You would be better using a separate Ethernet switch instead of relying on the internal switch within the home hub, which is not very efficient.

If there is a duplex mismatch between the Bufallo Ethernet port and the home hub port, then its quite possible its only running at 10Mbs and not 100Mbs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Help with 350Kb/sec slow backup speed from PC through Home Hub 4 to Buffallo NAS

I've got a Zyxel NAS and transferring files from my pc via home hub 5 I get 250-300MB/s both interfaces at gig. So I doubt its a problem with the hub if you have a hub 5. You havent tried anything like forcing speed and duplex on the the NAS have you? If you can't fix it on both ends leave them both at Auto. Have you tried a direct cable connection between the PC and the NAS? Depending on the kit you might be able to just use a normal patch lead if auto MDIX is supported on either device. Failing that you'd have to use a crossover cable.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for your help guys. Hi Jonkarra, it's a hub 4 not 5 that I've got.Yes, I connected my NAS directly to my pc using the existing network cable and was getting a transfer speed between 25 and 30Mb/sec.

I'll have a look at the adjustments you both have suggested, but would these changes be likely to account for the vast difference in speed that I get when using the hub?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Did the direct cable connection from PC to NAS and I used the same backup software to run the job, as detailed in my earlier post then tried following up on those other suggestions regarding speed/duplex settings.

Cant seem to be able to examine or alter either speed or duplex on the Home Hub 4. In the hub management software page - Advanced Settings - Home Network - Devices, I'm able to see the NAS connected to LAN3, and it shows a reading of 100Mb/s, but not sure if this is an actual reading of the system state, or only an indication this is not a Gb port.

It was a similar situation for the Buffalo Linkstation NAS. I could not find any adjustments in the software, but the specs in the manual state -

Transfer Speed
1000 Mbps Full duplex (auto-negotiation)
100 Mbps Full duplex/Half duplex (auto-negotiation)
10 Mbps Full duplex/Half duplex (auto-negotiation

so I'm guessing that these are the options it can choose, but its done automatically.

My network card in the PC is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, with the speed/duplex set to AUTO.

I did a LAN speed test to my NAS and got the following result

LAN Speedtest CROP.JPG

Cant figure why the speed when doing a backup should be so poor.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Unless you can set speed\duplex on the switch best to leave all devices as auto. Have you tried replacing cables and rebooting hub 4? Not much more you can do other than try another switch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for your replies once again. I'll not persue this with you too much more, but theres something I'm not clear on.

I tried rebooting hub without any success.

I was assuming the hub was the issue because when I bypassed it and joined the pc and nas directly I got those higher write speeds I mentioned of about 35Mb/s. After having done this I found the Lan Speedtest software, so rewired everything back to normal - ie pc to Gb port on hub and NAS to 100Mb port and ran the LAN speedtest writing a packet of data via the hub to the NAS. This gives me a writing speed of 74.59Mbps so I'm confused, because I assume that this writes to the NAS via the hub in the same way my backup does, or is this measuring something else?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Thats right it does however different services might work better for a number of reasons. For example UDP over a reliable network such as an ethernet network will be a lot faster, TCP error checking is quite an overhead and many applications check the file at the process level as well as at the network level.Also the presence or lack of encryption can make a big difference too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks Keith and Jonkarra. Think I've persued this as much as I can. Will buy a Gb switcher as suggested and see how that goes.

0 Ratings