Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aitch_g
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Help with faulty landline

Go to solution

On Thursday past I unexpectedly had to go into hospital and the last call I received was around lunchtime, by the time I got home on Saturday night the landline was faulty and no one had been in the house during that time so I don't know exactly when it stopped working.

The line was just crackling, no dial tone and I could not call out. The bell would ring when you called it from another phone but you could not hear anything except the crackling when it was answered.

The line test and area check both come back as fine. I thought it must be the handset so tried a new one yesterday but still nothing. I also tried both handsets in the test socket - I have the double one with the Infinity (which is working fine) and still just the same crackling sound.

I have also inspected the wires best I can from where they enter the house to the socket and cannot see any damage and they are only two years old anyway.

Now when I try to call it from another phone it still does appear to be ringing from their end, but there is no bell coming from my landline handset however if I lift the handset I can hear the ringing too albeit faintly.

It is also not giving me the caller's ID or registering any of the missed calls.

I finally relented and called customer services last night and all the not very helpful person I spoke to could do was tell me the line test was ok and the only option was to send an engineer.

I have arranged for said engineer to come out on Thursday however as I stressed to the CS last night I cannot in any way, shape or form afford the £130 fee and please if he could suggest anything else to try I would be most grateful, to which I received nothing.

So if there are any suggestions anyone can make so that I may hopefully exhaust all and any possible reasons that could be construed as 'my fault' before the engineer comes out I would be eternally grateful.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help with faulty landline

Go to solution

If the phone does not work in the test socket, then the fault is not within your house, so the charge will not apply.

Crackling is almost certainly an external fault.

Aitch_g
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for the quick response. I realise I sound a bit neurotic but I'm just worried about the potential fee, thanks again for putting my mind at rest!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Aitch_g
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Quick update, the engineer came out yesterday and discovered it was a fault with the external underground cable. Still not sure why the line test tells you everything's okay but anyway it's all up and running again. 🙂

0 Ratings