Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 42

Re: Help with slow speeds please

@imjolly wrote:

with your current attenuation and noise margin already at 4.4db I can'tsee you get much better than you have - about 1mb

I'm not a techy so don't understand a lot of the numbers but I certainly had a faster speed with my previous provider.  The speed test was only giving a figure of 0.32 Mbps whereas I used to get closer to 1.5Mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 42

Hi your download speed cannot exceed your IP profile
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 42

Hi John, As I said, I'm not a techie so I don't really understand the numbers.  But looking back at the speed test stats from my TalkTalk days, my IP profile was quoted as  1250Kbps (which I assume to be 1.25Mbps)  With BT it was 0.5Mbps yesterday & is showing as 0.75Mbps today (with a D/L speed of 0.43Mbps).  And even if I don't know about the numbers, I know that my internet is a lot slower.  I used to be able to stream BBC Iplayer (just) but now can't run more than about 5 seconds at a time.  As far as I can see, the only thing that should have changed substantially is who I'm paying my bill to.

john46 wrote:
Hi your download speed cannot exceed your IP profile

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 14 of 42

you have to remember, that you're line speed can vary as the service is rate adaptive. it is very possible that the external line has degraded in parts causing your speed to drop a tad. on shorter lines you really wouldn't notice a speed difference, but because you're on a long line every 100kbps or so really does count and you notice the difference. you could also try a bt business hub one of the older versions which have a good rep on lengthy circuits.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 42

the reason for the speed difference between Bt and your old provider is that Talk Talk they are an LLU provider meaning they have there own equipment in the exchange and it was an UP to 20mb service with BT you are on an up to 8mb service
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 16 of 42

cpf has said his ip profile was reported as 1250kbps which is a bt ip profile, tt don't use ip profiles j mate 😉
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 42

So does this mean that an 8mb service can't supply 1.25mb but a 20mb service can??? 

john46 wrote:
the reason for the speed difference between Bt and your old provider is that Talk Talk they are an LLU provider meaning they have there own equipment in the exchange and it was an UP to 20mb service with BT you are on an up to 8mb service

0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 42

Don't know about that but TalkTalk directed me to the exact same speed test site which is where the numbers came from. 

astar27 wrote:
cpf has said his ip profile was reported as 1250kbps which is a bt ip profile, tt don't use ip profiles j mate 😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 42

different types of network different settings
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 20 of 42

it's marketed as different on different isps, basically with bt everything on adsl is marketed as up to 20mb, but there are two variants adsl max (up to 😎 and adsl2+ (up to 20). whereas with tt they are marketed as up to 24 but it's still adsl2+ and works in the same way, with the throughput being around 85%, i think its 88.2% for bt and 87% for tt.
0 Ratings