cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 42

Re: Help with slow speeds please

sorry you cannot break the laws of physics
with the standard BT noise margin being 6dB your speed would have be even slower you have a new trial lower noise margin which is in fact giving you a higher connection speed then normal
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 42

This is a copy of a speed test result that was done with TalkTalk.  Exactly the same equipment except for now using the Home Hub instead of a D-link router.  All test results (in this and previous posts)  obtained from the same test site,  using a single PC, the router plugged directly into the test socket & using Ethernet cables with the wireless connections turned off.

FAQ

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
1134 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1134 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1632 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

So this must be achievable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 42

I never once didn't believe your claim about the speed with TT.  all I said is that with the stats you have shown on a good line I would expect 1/1.2mb at best and I cannot see where there is any scope for an increase.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 42

different routers can perform differently that could make make a small difference
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 42

@imjolly wrote:

I never once didn't believe your claim about the speed with TT.  all I said is that with the stats you have shown on a good line I would expect 1/1.2mb at best and I cannot see where there is any scope for an increase.

Sorry but I can't see on any of the BT stats that I've posted where I've been getting 1 - 1.2 mb speeds.  If I'd been getting that, I'd have been happy as it would have been comparable to TalkTalk.  The best D/L speed I've seen on the test results was 0.46.   Also, my IP profile (whatever that is) was 1.25 Mbps where is is now 0.75Mbps.  I'm assuming in this that the higher number is better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 42

I was the one that said 1/1.2mb would be at best not you and it was post 26

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 42

what imjolly has posted was he would expect to see about 1 to 1.2 mb connection speed on your line under perfect line conditions you are connecting at approx 1.0mb now

Your ip profile will always be lower than your connection speed and your down load speed will always be lower than your ip profile
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 42

@imjolly wrote:

I was the one that said 1/1.2mb would be at best not you and it was post 26

Apologies for this.  Thank you, I'm getting confused with all these numbers!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 42

as i posted earlier there is little that can be done to improve your speed
0 Ratings
cpf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 42

@john46 wrote:
what imjolly has posted was he would expect to see about 1 to 1.2 mb connection speed on your line under perfect line conditions you are connecting at approx 1.0mb now

Your ip profile will always be lower than your connection speed and your down load speed will always be lower than your ip profile

Now I'm really getting confused.  Is the number for the D/L speed the equivalent of how quickly my broadband is actully working?  I.E.  is this how fast it loads pages, sends/receives e-mails etc?  Because I suppose that's the bit I'm really complaining at.  It used to be quick, (above 1Mbps) & now it isn't (below 0.5Mbps or actually this morning, 0.05Mbps).   If it used to be twice as fast, using the same equipment/lines etc, then surely it can be again.  Or am I missing something fundamental?

0 Ratings