cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Help with understanding why one property can get FTTP and another next door cannot

Hello,

I will be moving to Lower Cambourne in April and preparation for the move I am looking at broadband connectivity.

On entering my future postcode (CB23 6BZ) and house number  on the Openreach broadband checker I find no decent broadband connectivity is available. If I change the house number to any other in the same street I find that they are all able to order Ultrafast broadband (FTTP). Images attached.

Can anyone shed any light on this. As far as I can see all the properties are connected to the same cabinet (108) which is FTTP enabled.

I emailed Openreach and they came back with this reply:

Dear Kash,

Thank you for your email.

In response to your query below regarding fibre availability, We would like to inform you that we aren’t able to fetch records for your address. This is a historical address.

We request you to provide us with working telephone no. if not available to this property please contact your chosen ISP and get the order  place for telephony line first so that we can help you precisely in order to check the fibre availability.

Regards,

Guddu.

Fibre Enquiries Team.

There is no active phone line at the property at the moment but I don't want to order a phone line if I cannot get a decent broadband connection.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Kash

*screenshot removed and included address details**

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Help with understanding why one property can get FTTP and another next door cannot

Suspect it's either, a database error. Or, the other side of the street is served by a different pole or distribution point, and the one that your property is to be served by is either not completed yet, or, has no spare fibres from the manifold.

Looking at the other properties, it does seem like a database issue.

Have you spoken to the current owner about their broadband?

Have you contact superfast Cymru?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Help with understanding why one property can get FTTP and another next door cannot

Thanks for the quick response.

The house numbers in this street run consecutively so odds are not on one side and evens on the others. Even when I enter number 9 or 13 they are able to order Ultrafast broadband.

The agent is trying to contact the previous tenant but is not having any luck. They have disconnected the phone line at this property.

If I check the BT broadband checker I get estimated speed of 1-3.5Mb with guaranteed of 512k. All others houses on the same street get 76Mb.

If it is a database error, how does one get it rectified?

Edit: The property is in Cambridgeshire and not Wale.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

You will need to place an order for a phone line, there is no alternative. Only then can the database be updated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

I don't know why I assumed Wales!

As above I think you'll need to get a phone line activated first.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thank you for your replies and suggestion. I guess I'll have to get the phone line activated and then see.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@kashp wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

The house numbers in this street run consecutively so odds are not on one side and evens on the others. Even when I enter number 9 or 13 they are able to order Ultrafast broadband.

The agent is trying to contact the previous tenant but is not having any luck. They have disconnected the phone line at this property.

If I check the BT broadband checker I get estimated speed of 1-3.5Mb with guaranteed of 512k. All others houses on the same street get 76Mb.

If it is a database error, how does one get it rectified?

Edit: The property is in Cambridgeshire and not Wale. Have you tried contacting http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/.  If I remember correctly it was said that the whole of Cambourne was FTTP enabled.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that suggestion. Will certainly contact them. What's confusing me is that for FTTP you do not need a telephone line just the fibre cable. I have also emailed enquire@openreach.co.uk to see if they can help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 9

Try the FTTP sales team. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings