cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swirlymurphy
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Help with very slow connection and test socket please!

Hi - we have had incredibly slow broadband connections for the past three days with the connection dropping constantly.

I ran the speed tester (bearing in mind I'm a novice at this) and got these results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 56 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-250 Kbps.

Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :992 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.94:33.34:57.4 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 351 Kbps
 Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

I then tried to connect the line to the test socket as demonstrated in the video whereupon the whole broadband connection was lost completely! 

If anyone can suggest in simple terms what I need to do next, I would be most grateful!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help with very slow connection and test socket please!

sorry I have not seen the video but removing the bottom half of the master socket and connecting to the test socket behind is your connection to the exchange.  if anything should work it is that connection. try looking here for ideas  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/homehubindex.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Swirlymurphy
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Right, firstly I've plugged the hub into the master socket, connected and ran the speedtest again - no improvement.

Secondly, here are the ADSL stats:

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:06:36
Downstream2,848 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.8 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)51.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.1 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)64 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

Please bear in mind that I am not a technical person when making suggestions! 

Thanks, A

0 Ratings
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

sorry but there is a big improvement - first btspeedtester stats showed speed 992 but not hub stats from master show 2848!  can you now run btspeedtester again to compare with first set

0 Ratings
pugdust
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I think you should do what Im going to do, Tell B.T. to poke there broadband and get yourself a 3 dongle, Mine is faster than the broadband Im paying for and not getting. Good luck
0 Ratings