cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Here We Go Again - Reduced Connection Speed Infinity 2

Hi all,

You know I never understand why I am still so surprised when my Infinity 2 speed falls, and does not recover, after some BT mishap. When I first had it installed I received an amazing 73-76Mbps and it stayed that way, until a fault occurred at the local exchange. After much to-ing and fro-ing with the hopeless BT customer service in India I was referred to this forum. A very helpful expert got my line back up to 65Mbps, but it never returned to its previous speed. Little by little the speed fell after this problem, that problem and a new model BT router. After the latest BT downtime, it is now running at 59Mbps and I suspect heading southwards. The service I pay for isn't cheap, but I was after the higher speed. Is there anyone who can sort this out for me please? Thank you for your time.

Best wishes, Roy Bennett

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Here We Go Again - Reduced Connection Speed Infinity 2

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi, thanks for responding. I hope this is the info you require - don't have the hub 5, I have the 6.

Product name: BT Hub 6A

Serial number: +084319+NQ62193444

Firmware version: SG4B100021EC

Firmware updated: 12/05/16

Board version: 1.0

Gui version: 1.28.3

DSL uptime: 4 Days, 12 Hours 50 Minutes 26 Seconds

Data rate: 20.00 kbps / 63.68 kbps

Maximum data rate: 20000 / 63681

Noise margin: 6.4 / 6.1

Line attenuation: 17.5

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI: 0/38

BT Wholesale.jpg

BT Speedtest.jpg

Quiet line test carried out with wired phone. Everything very dead quiet.

I suspect my line is being limited in Abergavenny exchange after the outage. Naturally, without any info about what was happening I did my ususal checks. Master socket connection ok, computer reboot ok, ethernet link test ok, reboot router ok, no difference. I did reboot the router 2-3 times over the period when the outage occurred. So, dynamic limiting is probably in place. Same thing happened last time I had problems. Time for an exchange reset?

Thanks for your time. Cheers and kind regards, Roy Bennett

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

from your stats you have an attainable speed of 63681kbps and your conenction speed is at attainable which is well within the estimated speed looking at checker results.  your noise margin is also about normal 6db suggesting your line is now running ok and has been stable for 4 days +

from the btspeedtseter your profile is correct and download speed good for profile.

It is probably crosstalk as more people added to cabinet that has dropped your speed

BT wont help as everything looks ok and you are well with estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

I had exactly the same problem, spent MONTHS trying to get BT to fix it. Had 76mbps, but dropped to about 62 after a line repair. I then got a parrot in India who just kept repeating that I was above the guaranteed 60mbps for my line so there wasn't a problem. Eventually it dropped to 59mbps so I was straight back on to them and demanded action as it was now below the magic 60mbps.

When they finally agreed to send an engineer (threatening a £130 bill if he didn't find anything wrong) it took him 10mins to fix it, a good old DLM reset solved all my problems. Apparently it should have been done when they repaired my line but wasn't, & the 'automated system' that takes UP TO 5 WEEKS to do what a manual reset does in 5 secs had got its knickers in a twist.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for that. I have noticed that, after reading other contributions, that IMJolly says exactly the same thing - more or less - to everyone complaining about loss of speed. Is there anyone I can talk to about an exchange reset?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

you can only get a DLM reset after a broadband engineer visit and a fault fixed - the engineer can then request a DLM reset

you stats just show a drop probably due to crosstalk and you are well within your estimated speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@robby2k9

your problem may look similar but yours was totally different in that with your attenuation of less than 10db your connection speed shoud be at max 80mb with attainable maybe slightly higher and not 59mb which you had.  the attenuation here is much higher at 17.5db

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi, my reasoning here is thus: when I took up Infinity 2 my download rate was well up in the 70-76mpbs rate. It continued at this rate until a) BT upgraded Abergavenny exchange which caused a drop. A drop which one of the other Sages on this site had fixed for me with a reset, b) I foolishly upgraded my BT router and had to suffer a drop once again which required intervention and c) another drop after the recent outage and - will I ever live and learn - upgrading to Homehub 6. Now, the speed mentioned above is what I am paying for and not whatever BT happens to think it can get away with offering. I realise that the usual response is that the tests show my maximum download rate and that my actual is within range. However, as the maximum download rate keeps dropping then I will always be within range, i.e. a perfect negative feedback loop. I repeat once more this really isn't good enough when I am paying max rate for my connection only to see it drop away and to be told I am within an acceptable range for my line. So, how do I get someone to reset my line please. It has been done before and it did not involve an engineers visit?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

as has been said many times on the forum only way to get the DLM reset is to get a broadband engineer visit and after the engineer has fixed a problem he can then ask for a DLM reset  ISPs cannot reset the DLM unlike adsl where the mods were able to instigate a line reset

so you can phone and get engineer visit but if engineer finds no problems then he will not reset the DLM

0 Ratings