cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Hiding email addresses in Yahoo mail lists

I have set up a number of lists of email addresses so that I can easily send the same email to more than one person. However, I would like the list name only to appear in the "To" field and not the individual email addresses as I find it very annoying when someone sends out my email address to a group of people and I'm sure the people in my lists feel the same.

Does anyone know how I can hide the email addresses and only have the list name appear (other than putting them in BCC which is dumb)?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hiding email addresses in Yahoo mail lists

BCC is the easiest way of doing it and should be used by default when sending emails to lists of people. In certain circumstances you can be in breach of the Data Protection Act if you do not do this as you are distributing personal  information (an email address) without the permission of the owner. It is dumb not to use BCC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Having used a Mac for donkey's years I am used to the Group or List name being used in the 'to' field and the email addresses automatically being hidden - just the Group or List name showing. A much more user friendly solution than sending the email to one person with all the others BCCd.  That way no-one's email addresses are shown.  With the BCC method you have to send it to someone whose email address will then be viewable by all the people BCCd.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

then use you own address and send it to yourself as your address is shown as sender anyway

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

@HampshireLady wrote:

Having used a Mac for donkey's years I am used to the Group or List name being used in the 'to' field and the email addresses automatically being hidden - just the Group or List name showing. A much more user friendly solution than sending the email to one person with all the others BCCd.  That way no-one's email addresses are shown.  With the BCC method you have to send it to someone whose email address will then be viewable by all the people BCCd.

How the list of addresses is displayed depends on the email client used. Even if it just gives the list name it is likely that all the email addresses are given in the email header that the recipient receives.  I am attempting to check this but do not have ready access to a MAC .

Also you do not need to put anyone's email address in the TO field. It can be left blank and "Undisclosed recipient" is usually automatically inserted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

With the aid of a MAC owning friend using Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and the native email client supplied with that OS it appears that email lists (or groups) are handled as I described.  Note that even if the people in a list are displayed as Fred Bloggs (say) the full email address eg fred.bloggs@btinternet.com  may be displayed on the recipients machine and definitely be shown in the header information if BCC is NOT used. How names are displayed are dependent on the client but the header information for the crucial information is independent.

0 Ratings