cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

High Broadband Usage

Hello,

I was wandering if anyone could offer any advice. I have been a BT customer for several years. In June this year as a result of trying to cut costs on household bills, I contacted BT to see if I could reduce my bill.  I was on an unlimited broadband package and after discussions on the phone, I was told that my average broadband ussage  a month was 2.5GB. As this seemed like I was paying for something I wasn't using I was advised about the 12GB per month package and that this would be suit my usage needs (Web browsing only, occasional videos on youtube,  1or two hours a month streaming on Iplayer etc). I don't have anything like netflix, dont download games, films or music).  All sounded good and this would signigicantly reduce my bill.

Following this switch in June I recieved an email warning me that I was close to the usage limit for that month, this month (August) I have gone over the usage limit and will be charged. Looking on this forum I saw that other customers have had similar issues. I followed the steps to prevent windows 10 updates and also changed the password on my Homehub  4 incase anyone else was logging in.

I have spoken to BT twice since June and have gone round in circles, the first person  kept mentioning how using netflix and downloading fillms would quickly eat up data usage but I don't use any of this. Today I had a long conversation with a technician who said that  from October 2015 to May 2016, usage was fairly low 0.07GB but from June this year that rose to an average of 10-12BG. They said that there was no way the hub was not working and that their data was correct. The only solution offered was to upgrade to an unlimited package (which I was told in June I didn't need) or reduce my internet usage. They also suggestd checking the monitor daily, which I ahave done previously and seems to suggest I use around 2GB per day (my monthly average?)

What I dont understand is, how can there be this definite rise in useage in June since I swapped to a new package. Nothing has changed in the way I use the internet since before June, and I have actually been using the internet less to try and avoid going over. This month no one used the internet for a week and we still went over.  But the Bt technician said it could only be down to our usage. Is this correct, how much data should I be averaging a day for about 1 or two hours web browsing after work, with only two laptop computers running windows 7 connected? (No mobiles etc). Was their original 2.5GB per month average reading incorrect, therefore they shouldn't have suggested the 12GB package? I would be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: High Broadband Usage

@ACham wrote:

Hello,

how much data should I be averaging a day for about 1 or two hours web browsing after work, with only two laptop computers running windows 7 connected? 

Impossible to say - it would very much depend what you're doing on them. Have you installed / updated new software? Do you play online games? Have you watched any iPlayer etc? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Another possibility is that there is something on one of your computers that is sending and receiving data without your knowledge.

One way to see is to check the network connection on each computer.  From the Control Panel, select "Network and Sharing Center" or "View Network Status and Tasks" (whichever is visible).

In that window, look for a line that says "Connections:" followed by the name of a connection (on my computer, it's "Local Area Connection 2" - it may be slightly different on yours).  Click on the name of the connection and it should open a window showing how many bytes that computer has sent and received since it was turned on.  When you're not doing anything, those numbers should barely change.  If they keep going up all the time, then something is sending and/or receiving data.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

@ACham  i had a very similar problem back in June too (as did others) but i was categorically told that the hub manager couldn't possibly be wrong. No amount of denying or trying to persuade anyone that i didn't use the amonunt of usage that was being claimed worked so eventually i thought i would just have to suck it up and pay it but  on the 17th August i received an email from BT saying i had been charged by mistake as there had been "a glitch in our system"  from 22nd June - 30th June so if those dates coincide with yours then i would try to argue my case.

Another forum user was having the same trouble but he called up to argue his case and because he had never gone over his allowance before then BT agreed to "let him off" with the charges which apparently is quite common if it's your first time of going over (even though we didn't use it)  He subsequently received the same email that i did even though he wasn't being charged. I will try to find the links to the threads for you to have a read and come back here with them

This is the other gentlemans thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Unexplained-high-data-usage/m-p/1637961#M74055

This one is mine although the mod help i received didn't help me anyway but it's similar the other thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Need-some-help-with-apparent-BB-usage/m-p/1635598

I hope you get it sorted as there is nothing worse than knowing what it's been used on.

P.S. - apparently windows 10 does some hefty downloading using peer to peer something or other but it mentions it in one of those threads.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Thanks 4KMarty,

Not updated any software for a few weeks. Dont play online games or download films, music etc. Typical daily usage would be 1-2 hrs in the evening viewing websites, emails/ social media etc. occaional youtube videos but not in HD and maybe use iplayer once or twice. What I dont understand is that everything was fine when I was on an unlimited package, but  all of a sudden when we changed to a 12GB plan in June I suddenly started to use loads more data. From my point of view the only variable that has changed is that I moved to a 12GB BT plan, becasue I was advised my average monthly use was 2.5GB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Thanks

I checked this out and the numbers do seem to go up, even if I leave the computer for a while. Is this something to be worried about or could it just be down to background programs like antvirus software etc. Other then that nothing has changed in the way I use the internet, if anything I am using it less than before June to stop going over the 12GB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the links @ feegee.

Sorry that your problem did't get fully sorted. It does seem that many people on this forum are having similar issues. I just couldn't get BT to realise or accept that is was pretty strange that the only variable that has changed in the last year is that I changed from an unlimited to a 12GB plan in June. Prior to this I was told by BT that my usage was low at an average of 2.5GB per month, all of a sudden I switch to a capped package and my usage shoots up to 10-12GB a month or over! If anything I am using less internet now than before June as Im paranoid about going over! And their only suggestion was a) reduce my internet usage or B) go to an unlimited package....that I was on in the first place. Infuriating!

0 Ratings