cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 9

High Broadband usage

My usage jumped yesterday for no apparent reason - have talked to BT about it and they have said the usual change the passwords , monitor usage ... and their system is accurate.

I am on the 10GB package and the usage monitor went as follows  4 June  0.17/0.04  to 5 June 3.61/0.04 (rec'd/sent)

However this is the data from my HH3

Internet Connection Configuration
Connection Information
Connection time:11 days, 15:34:40
Data Transmitted/Received (GB):1.5 / 0.4
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password:Not configured

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address:86.148.47.38 
Default gateway:172.16.15.135 
Primary DNS:213.120.234.22 
Secondary DNS:213.120.234.34 

Disconnect

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A) | Time and date 18:39 06/06/14

Obviously the data from the hub contradicts what BT say.

I don't particularly want to change my wireless password as to me my connection is not being used by anyone else because that usage would be reflected in the hub stats.

I would point out that I can use BT WiFi a lot and that it does rack up 1GB quite easily but that should not appear on the usage monitor - it doesn't appear on the hub stats.

BT are supposed to be monitoring the usage for the next 3 days and will ring me next Tuesday.

However should I continue to use BT WiFi during that period for consistency or not and see what happens?

Finally I am also posting here so that I have a record of what's happened.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: High Broadband usage

The total May usage for the current connection was 0.55GB per BT monitor  - 25 May onwards.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

BT WiFi has NO effect on your usage at all the differences in hub stats is due it resetting at around 5gb as has been posted many times
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

@john46 wrote:
BT WiFi has NO effect on your usage at all the differences in hub stats is due it resetting at around 5gb as has been posted many times

I am aware of that but the total usage for this connection time even according to the monitor is 4.2GB.

Only mentioned BT WiFi as that is the only thing that would be remotely near the usage level reported by BT.

I  only have a laptop , am the sole user of the internet , and do not look at videos etc. I have never had the usage suggested in a day since I joined BT.

I have changed the hub wireless key anyway.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

The discrepancy is easily explained by the fact that HomeHub 3 A resets the data value to 0 when the value reaches 4.3 GB. Each value is reset independantly of the other and the connection time is not reset.

It is advisable to record your HH 3 A data values on AT LEAST a dailly basis and more frequently when investigating this type of problem.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@vofsanity2 wrote:

The discrepancy is easily explained by the fact that HomeHub 3 A resets the data value to 0 when the value reaches 4.3 GB. Each value is reset independantly of the other and the connection time is not reset.

It is advisable to record your HH 3 A data values on AT LEAST a dailly basis and more frequently when investigating this type of problem.

I am aware of the resetting but would point out that the total usage was 4.2GB ( based on connection time) with the Hub showing 1.5Gb sent? and 0.4Gb rec'd ie the reset occurred well before the 4.3GB limit.

@Having just looked at the hub data is it showing 1.5GB sent ??  If so that is not what the BT monitor is showing @ 6 June it is only 0.06GB.

I am taking regular readings of both the hub and NetWorx - fortunately I have only one device that can be connected to the internet.  The 6 June monitor stats were 3.69/0.06 total of 3.75GB.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@conrad wrote:

I am aware of the resetting but would point out that the total usage was 4.2GB ( based on connection time) with the Hub showing 1.5Gb sent? and 0.4Gb rec'd ie the reset occurred well before the 4.3GB limit.

@Having just looked at the hub data is it showing 1.5GB sent ??  If so that is not what the BT monitor is showing @ 6 June it is only 0.06GB.

I am taking regular readings of both the hub and NetWorx - fortunately I have only one device that can be connected to the internet.  The 6 June monitor stats were 3.69/0.06 total of 3.75GB.

What is likely to be the case is that the screen print of the Hub data you have shown is incorrect in that the values should be 1.5 GB sent  and 4.7 GB received (0.4 + 4.3) . This gives a total of 6.2 GB usage for the 11 days 15 Hours usage. Assuming that your usage for the end of May is 0.55 GB (as you have stated) and we subtract this from the 6.2GB, we have the usage recorded by the HUb for June as 5.65Gb.  This is more than what is recorded by the monitor.

What the HUb records should always be equal or greater than what is recorded on the monitor.

Without regular Hub stats it is difficult to reconcile Monitor values with what the Hub is showing.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Current usage is as expected.  BT India have kept up their 100% failure rate by sending me an email which was supposed to help but actually had nothing to do with the problem or how to reset passwords and the call back on Tuesday never materialised.

However the Options team were helpful and understanding and gave a quote for unlimited and also supplied a MAC there and then. I received a text today saying  sorry you are leaving BT with a contact number - the person I spoke to was understanding and helpful and I am now on a 12 month unlimited BB (plus anytime calls which I had anyway) for just under £4pm cheaper than what I was paying for the 10GB package.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Now that I am on unlimited usage I have to admit the monitor display is far superior to that shown when I was on the 10GB package. Why BT can't show this version for all packages I don't know.

monitor.PNG

0 Ratings