cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Proz
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

High Noise 9.5dB

My noise margin on my line always appears high .

It was at 10.5dB but does appear to have come down slightly over the last 2 months .

When should it drop to around the 6dB so i can get near the max attainable rate instead of being stuck at 45MB/s

Heres the stats from the HH6 which did have a firmware update a few days ago .

Product name:BT Hub 6A

Serial number: +084317+NQ62371009
Firmware version: SG4B10002244
Firmware updated: 20-Dec-2016

-

Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.32.0

DSL uptime: 2 Days, 18 Hours 19 Minutes 47 Seconds

Data rate: 19.86 kbps / 49.00 kbps

Maximum data rate: 19863 / 58302

Noise margin: 6.1 / 9.5

Line attenuation: 19.7

Signal attenuation: 0 / 197

-

VPI / VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Data sent / received: 785 MB Uploaded / 515 MB Downloaded

Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi: Not active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-RPQR
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-RPQR
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Band steering: Off

Wireless mode: Mode 1

Firewall: On
MAC address:
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1

Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: High Noise 9.5dB

Line errors may be causing the speed to stick at 49Mbs instead of being higher. The line may also be more stable with a higher margin, so I would not worry, as you are not going to notice the difference in actual download speed, as that will vary throughout the day.

A stable line is better than one that keeps disconnecting, which it may do if the noise margin is 6dB.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

It looks as though DLM has banded your line at 49M due to line instability. Is the line dropping out or is there any noise on the line when you try the quiet line test on 17070?

0 Ratings
Proz
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

For a long time i was using an Asus DSL AC68U modem router but i went back to using the HH6 to see if that would improve things.

Its been 2 months or more and DLM hasnt relented at all .... all thats changed is my noise margin has dropped from 10.6dB to 9.5dB.

I know its just a case of waiting for DLM to relent but its been months now.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

It can take a long time. My line was banded at 35Mbps from January until October this year. I think @licquorice has been in that position longer. In reality you're unlikely to notice an increase of a few Mbps anyway.

0 Ratings
alexsketchees
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I have the same issue with high noise and making my internet speed go down to 49Mb. Its BT they will also poke the blame like it isnt their fault. Im suprised they dont have a way to reset DLM to speed this process up because it means for the majority of peoples contracts they are under the guarenteed speeds. Contact BT and get them to investigate this but i warn you its like trying to get blood from a stone. There service is seeming to me like its pathetic now. Great for first few months and then rubbish.

Good luck to you my friend

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@alexsketchees

@alexsketchees wrote:

I have the same issue with high noise and making my internet speed go down to 49Mb. Its BT they will also poke the blame like it isnt their fault. Im suprised they dont have a way to reset DLM to speed this process up because it means for the majority of peoples contracts they are under the guarenteed speeds. Contact BT and get them to investigate this but i warn you its like trying to get blood from a stone. There service is seeming to me like its pathetic now. Great for first few months and then rubbish.

Good luck to you my friend

As you have been told already in your own post BT like all other providers have no control over the DLM it is under Openreach's control and they will only do a reset if they find a fault  with the connection

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

See link for information about DLM and in particular this part.

"I’ve had a fault and my speeds haven’t returned to normal, why?

If you’ve had a fault that’s affected the speed of your service, this is something we can look into for you. Unfortunately we are not able to do remote resets on FTTC circuits at present, so this isn’t something that can be requested nor can we send engineers out solely to complete a DLM Reset."

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

The information is from the Plusnet site but it applies to all ISPs who use the Openreach infrastructure.

0 Ratings