Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben_the_wad
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

High Noise Margin - Inconsistent Speed

Hi,

I had an issue between a month and two months ago, involving poor broadband speeds. This was eventually resolved after a line issue was detected and connection speeds are now better. However, when checking the noise margin through my homehub, the downstream noise margin is still much higher than before the fault (from reading other forum posts, I gather it should be around 6dB, whereas it ranges from 15dB - 17dB).

Download speeds also fluctuate frequently since the fix. This is more noticeable when I am using a platform such as Steam to download a larger file. Before the line fault, download speed was constant, and normally around 1.1 Mbps. Now, however, it varies anywhere from 200 Kbps to 900 Kbps and never remains constant for more than 2 or 3 seconds.

I have pasted the connection status page from my homehub below. Although the connection time shows 2 days, this was due to a restart I performed to see if it affected the line performance. Before this, I had 19 days continuous connection. A speedtest from speedtester.bt.com shows 5.67 Mbps download, 0.84 upload and 28.63 ping. Again, this is not as good as before the first line issue occurred.

Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 16:37:59
Downstream:6,607 Kbps
Upstream:1,195 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.3 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):36.5 dB / 21.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1276 / 183
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):1526 / 113
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 157

Is there any reason why these issues are still occurring?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: High Noise Margin - Inconsistent Speed

are you connected to the test socket?  do you have other sockets apart from the master whether in use or not?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.org/speed/Speed.html

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies!

I have tried the quiet line test and there is no noise whatsoever on the line.

I have tried the test socket previously, but am currently trying it again. The downstream speed has risen slightly, but the noise margin remains unchanged. I have restarted the homehub twice since connecting to the test socket, and it has currently been connected to the test socket for around half an hour altogether (in between homehub restarts).

I have posted a screenshot from the BT speedtester in the next post.

Here are the connection details from the home hub:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:07:36
Downstream:7,703 Kbps
Upstream:1,183 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.1 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):36.5 dB / 21.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):6 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):15 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

btspeedtest.png

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

hi first of all please stop all manual restarts as they will cause further problems by increasing your noise margin further in an attempt to stabilise your line please just leave it connected in the test socket to settle
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

the speed test results look ok for your current connection speed
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

you need to leavbe your conenction in the test socket and get 3+ days connection time shown on your router then come back, post stats and then contact the mods to get noise margin reset to 6 which will increase your conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

it is now a matter of stability first then as imjolly has posted then getting your noise margin reset
0 Ratings
ben_the_wad
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies again!

I will post the relevant stats in three days.

Thanks for the help so far,

Ben

0 Ratings