cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

High Ping Issue During Evenings and Weekends

Hi. So, as the subject says, usually every evening during the week and during the weekend from 13-14 onwards, my ping increases from 60-70 to 130-140 on any foreign type of server (TeamSpeak, Steam, etc.).

A few days ago, one agent from BT refreshed my connection between the Hub and Exchange (according to him/her) and the ping was stable around 60-70 for about 4 days until I restarted the Hub. Since the restart, it started to play up again.

Speedtest2.PNG

I contacted the BT Support Team a number of times and they are not able to do anything. They said that my connection was 'refreshed' again, however, the ping does not dissapear now. Does anyone have any other ideas to help me?

By the way, the ping is exactly the same on WiFi as directly on cable, I tested everything. A few hours from now, about 23-00, the ping will come back, but tomorrow it will be the same story. Thank you.

Other friends from UK (different cities, different internet providers) do not experience this ping on the same server/services.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: High Ping Issue During Evenings and Weekends

You could run a tracert to server/services to see where the latency starts.

0 Ratings
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your answer, you can see below the details. From what I can see, the problem is coming from those servers, however, I do not understand how other friends (from Virgin Media, Sky. etc.) do not experience this increase in latency, only me on BT. 2 month ago I had another internet provider with simple broadband (not fiber) and everything was perfect.

Thank you for any help.

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 9

On both tracerts the latency occurs outside of the BT network (voxility.net).

0 Ratings
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I can see that, however, I cannot explain this:

TeamSpeak.jpg

The first one (85 ping) is my friend from Nottingham (another ISP), and the second one me (128 ping) from Worcester (on BT). The server that I talking now is ts.indungi.ro, so I cannot understand this difference? Thank you.

0 Ratings
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Okay, so after I had 60-70 ping all morning, the problem is back (120-140 ping). I asked some friends from Sky and Virgin Media and this is the result from Virgin (similar with Sky), normal ping:

Virgin.PNG

Obviously the problem is BT-related, somehow, because only here the ping is high.

BT.PNG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 9

Hop 12 (the VM tracert) in approx 47ms to the voxility server.

Hop 11 (on your tracert) in approx 32ms to the voxility server

Where's the BT problem?

BTW VM are in no way similar to Sky as regards broadband.

0 Ratings
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I am just trying to understand why it is only me on BT who has this problem? And other networks do not.

I know that Virgin Media and Sky are very different, but both networks have normal ping (60-70) on the destination 'GameServers-93.119.24.8.Krond.Org'.

I will try to find other guys on different networks to do the same test. I recently moved to this house from Sky Broadband (cheapest package, very slow speed) and I have this problem since then. If I go and use my friend's internet (differente internet provider, slower speed) who stays 10 minutes away from me, the ping is exactly normal.

0 Ratings
greentrancer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Yesterday I asked a friend that lives 4 minutes away from me, on TalkTalk broandband with very slow speed and he had normal ping (same as other broadbands).

TalkTalk.PNG

Another friend from the city that has BT Infinity 2 (like me) has exactly the same ping as me.

BT George.jpg

So this problem appears only on the BT broadband or fiber package.

0 Ratings