cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

High Ping Times

I have an 8MB package and see a constant speed of 6.9MB no matter what time of the day or week (which is great), whats not so great is that i always get a low ping reading while online gaming. The telphone lines in the house are all new and i only have one socket (with the bell wire removed), which the router plugs straight into along with my SKY+ and phone (both on filters). I have 1x desktop PC (wired), 1x PS3 (wireless), 1x Xbox360 (wired) and 2x laptops (wireless) and have tried removing all other equipment and just leaving the router plugged in and still get the same results. I'm not one for online ping tests, all i know is i never rate high on gaming ping meters and get shot alot when i shouldnt while gaming!

Is there anything i or BT could do to speed up mu ping?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: High Ping Times

Anyone

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 13

From what you say in your post, frankly I doubt it.

You've already got a good connection, re your download/throughput speed, and chances are you're either on fastpath or a shallow level of interleaving at worst, which wouldn't implicate anything. High ping times are normally due to high levels of net traffic or busy servers and so there's little you can do apart from pick your times when you think it's less busy.

0 Ratings
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thats the thing my download speeds (good) and my slow pings are very consistant no matter what time of day or week. I'm just surprised that people around me see 30-40ms pings while i see 75+ms when we're all the same distance from the exchange, i get good download speeds but it almost seems like somethings not quite right somewhere. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 13

A lot can depend how your connection is mapped from the exchange and which RAS you're connected to. It doesn;t follow that because 2 people live in the same street, say, are connected in the same way. Also your connection may use a different virtual path to the backbone, there's a lot of reasons why it's a few milliseconds slower than say your pal around the corner. 😉
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Sounds like im screwed then 😞

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 13

Not necessarily, exchange mapping and IP allocation changes quite frequently, depending on how traffic is managed, you may well find one day that its gone away...probably when your not thinking about it too much...;)
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
jamsea07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Move to another ISP, they have very low ping and very high speeds , only if your exchange has llu inside it if not dont sign up for another ISPs access.

Orange LLU
Jamie Earl
"Geek"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
SawTooth
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

I was with another ISP before BT, my so called 8MB package dropped down to less than 100kbps evrey evening after around 3pm. It was taking well over 1min to open any web page. Not had a single drop in download speed since switching to BT.

0 Ratings