cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 19

High Speed Broadband for South Yorkshire

Not sure how many members on here live in South Yorkshire and have been waiting for BT to deliver the Infinity package and then found out they are no longer upgrading exchanges in SY except for two.

well the good news is the 40mb broadband has arrived and businesses have already started going live, consumers will be going live from September 2010.

The pricing is actually cheaper than BT Infinity package and doesn't need an engineer out to swap the master socket over.

So hopefully within the next two - three weeks I'll be leaving BT with their 2mb max broadband to go with someone who can supply me nearly 40mb - mac code already requested so can't wait to switch....

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
tickhill
Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: High Speed Broadband for South Yorkshire

There was a great publicity stunt, supported and even announced I seem to remember by one of our now departed Prime Ministers that South Yorkshire would become the 20mb leader with Broadband.

Seems as though someone forgot to tell BT - or, as usual BT wasn't listening - just like they don't on this Forum for each time I check the expectancy of my local exchange at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

there is no sign of it arriving in my South Yorkshire area.

Far from 20mb I would be happy with the 6mb I should have.

I live in a small town which is a dormitory for Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley, virtually every home has Broadband and come 5pm when students arrive home from school speeds drop considerably and once Parents are home as well around 7pm things are almost as bad as they were in the dial-up days.

I wrote to BT Management highlighting the issue, pointing out that there was obvious insufficient equipment to meet demand and reminding of the promised 20mb service.

Far from getting a reply based on local circumstances I received the bland 'the service is constantly monitored and improvments made where necessary' type of letter.

...so - if an alternative has become available and people migrate to it BT have only go their own complacency to blame.

Also see that today the Advertising Standards Agency have banned a BT Broadband speed advert because it was misleading.   That's a cap that definitely fits BT at present

What benefits I wonder will we get for the price rises effective from 1 October - improved quality of service doubtful, filling black hole in pension fund more likely.

0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

Hi tickhill, i live in Birstall, Wrst Yorkshire and am connected to the batley exchange which is enabled for the 21CN WBc service. this is the service which enables you to get the 'up to' 20 mb speeds advertised. I, therefore have sent an e-mail to the mods requesting my line to be upgraded from the old adsl max line to the new 21CN WBC adsl2+ line. Could you poist your router stats on this thread then i may be able to offer you some advice as to whether you can upgrade aswell. also, while you are doing that then go on the SamKnows website and see if your exchange has been enable for the service i outlined above,
Nathan
0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 4 of 19

Cheers Ian.

My exchange is the same as my Username and not 21CN enabled with no date being shown for it to be so request of ADSL2 some way off I think.

My gripe is that the promise of 21CN for Yorkshire - South Yorkshire in particular - is just being forgotten.

Nearby town of Worksop (Nottinghamshire) has been enabled for some time and they are usually the last to get anything useful!!

0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

Could you post your router adsl stats, and run the speedtester.bt.com and post the results on this thread please. Also, are you connected to an extension socket, the master socket, or better still the test socket underneath the bottom half of the master socket faceplate?
0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 6 of 19

Hi Ian

I am using an extension.

Have BTBroadband Accelerator in Master Socket and Router is BT Home Hub 2.00

A few speed tests this month

2nd  21.00hrs - 2215

3rd  00.10 hrs - 3479

3rd  09.00hrs  - 5556

16th 22.15hrs - 3851

27th 09.20hrs - 4467 - immediately prior to this reply.

0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

Are the results shown your Down Sync, your line profile or your throughput?
Cheers
0 Ratings
markngaz
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

south yourksire is done im in doncaster look

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 9 of 19

The Doncaster code 01302 is served by a number of exchanges over a wide area - some are done and some are not.

I happen to be in a 'not done' area and not date for it to be done.

Using the website you give and entereing my postcode as invited it just says not yet in the digital area - end of message.  I entered another postcode for a family member and it said not yet in the digital area but gave a date of September 2011 when it should be.  My postcode didn't even offer an expected date - and I am well in the 01302 area.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 10 of 19

Hi Ian.

With BT tester not available despite a few attemtps I have done a test with top10.com

(A good site because it shows results in a map for you and streets around you)

Outcome   My download  3.4Mb    Next Street 100metres   7.3Mb

My upload      0.4Mb    Next Street and whole area also 0.4Mb

Actual exchange equipment is less than half a mile away from home.

Interesting to note that TALKTALK who have equipment in the exchange seemed to have better readings.

I'm not a technical bod so I'm not sure what the significance of the above is.

0 Ratings