Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david2408
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

High cost of BT Unlimited Broadband

Go to solution

Hi

Until a year ago, we were quite happy with BT's Option 1 Broadband,  as we only used the internet for surfing/emails but my son came back to stay with us for a couple of months while he was "between jobs."  He sent our excess usage charges through the roof, downloading movies , playing online games etc (we were not happy), so as a temporary measure I upgraded to Option 3 (unlimited). He has now moved on and my year's contract for Option 3 expires in February. I am tempted to keep Option 3, but in my view the monthly charge of £26 is ridculously high. I have been bombarded with various offers (Talk Talk etc) where unlimited usage charges are but a fraction of the cost of BT's. Is there any point in trying to negotiate, as a longstanding customer,  a better deal with BT for unlimited usage ( I have been a BT broadband customer for five or six years) ? There is an element of "better the devil you know" in this, so I would only switch reluctantly. However, I am finding the monthly £26 charge prohibitive and wondered if BT gave any rewards for loyalty - or am I just deluding myself?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: High cost of BT Unlimited Broadband

Go to solution

It's almost compulsory to renegotiate a fresh minimum term contract to get the best prices once your existing one ends. If you arm yourself with examples of better prices available from other providers so much the better. Speak to Sales on 150, and don't be afraid to try again if you don't get what you would settle for the first time.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

No, you're not deluding yourself.  BT are quite aware that the full price of their services is higher than the offers made by their competition.  Simply ring up and tell them they are too expensive.

Last time I did it, I rang 150 and selected the "cancel" option from the menu.  That puts you through to the people whose job it is to pursuade you not to cancel.

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
I negotiated a deal with BT for Option 1 only to find that I am now paying more than some customers on Option 3.

walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@WatchdogTS wrote:
I negotiated a deal with BT for Option 1 only to find that I am now paying more than some customers on Option 3.

Why not ring them and see if you can negotiate another deal

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

You can only trade up mid contract, the time to negotiate is when your contract comes up for renewal, now that I know how slippery sales staff can be, i'll get a better deal next time.

walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@WatchdogTS wrote:

You can only trade up mid contract, the time to negotiate is when your contract comes up for renewal, now that I know how slippery sales staff can be, i'll get a better deal next time.

Ring them, you might get a surprise like I did and was able to renew my broadband contract earlier than what I thought I could

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

That would be a surprise, I might collapse in a state of shock if they said yes, of course we will reduce the cost of your BB, how much do you want to pay? 

yaxles1
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Judging by the replies on this forum - my post will be nothing new.
BT have treated my wife and I awfully as customers with continued overcharging

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
you are posting on a 4year old post I cannot believe you have gone to the trouble of searching for an old post like this
0 Ratings