cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xtrato
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

High error rate causing my problem?

I woke up this morning and my connection in unusually slow. It is usually slow anyway because of the distance I am from the exchange but it's worse today.

I have had a look at the BTHOMEHUB settings and it is saying I have a lot of errors on the line.

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 06:46:25

Downstream

768 Kbps

Upstream

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

15.6 dB / 15.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

65.3 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

1.5 dBm / 1.2 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

11774 / 585

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

29629 / 458

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

40555 / 370

Error Seconds (Local/Remote)

8823 / 663

I understand that there is always going to be some errors because of my high attenuation on the line but is this many a usual amount?

Also, my Error Seconds (Local/Remote). does the 8823 for local mean errors on my local network? And if so I assume this means that my problem is locally and not outside my home?

Thank you in advance for your help

James

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: High error rate causing my problem?

your connection has reset as connection time only 6hrs.  your noise margin is hight at 15.6 as normal about 6db suggesting when you take into account the high errors a problem with noise on your line.

are you connected to test or master socket?  do you have other sockets?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.org/speed/Speed.html

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Xtrato
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Yes I am connected to the master socket. There is also only 1 socket in my home. I don't have any extensions.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

have you tried connecting to the test socket as that should be your best connection as direcrt to the exchange.  if you connect to test with new filter can you post new stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

have you tried the quiet line test also have you tried changing the filter ?
0 Ratings
Xtrato
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Ok I just tried a new filter plugged directly into the Test Socket. Below is what it says now.

I also just did a quite line test. I can't hear any crackles or anything of that nature. Just a quite line.

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 00:12:24

Downstream

832 Kbps

Upstream

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

15.3 dB / 15.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

65.8 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

1.7 dBm / 1.2 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

65 / 6

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

24 / 5

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

11 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote)

19 / 1

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

could you post back in a few hour your hubstats again as the current connection time is low
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

connection speed only slightly better with noise margin still high.  your power output is a lot lower than I would expect.  errors are low but that may well be due to you just resetting and not due to the change to the test socket

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

output power is very low as i posted repost stats later then you may need the mods help
0 Ratings