Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

High ping at BT Faraday / Slough

Hi,

Wondering if anybody has had any joy getting a similar issue resolved - 

For about a week I've been experiencing high ping playing online games (i.e. Overwatch, Battlefront 2 demo, etc.). The issue is intermittent. It will be fine for a session, then be back next session. Otherwise my download speeds and everything else seem fine. In home streaming is still absolutel rock solid.

Convinced the issue must be external, I've run several tracert. They usually come back similar to the below, showing a 25 second ping at either the Faraday or Slough exchange. Every other hop looks perfectly fine every time.

tracert.PNG

I called BT support but first thing they want to do is reconnect my home hub (I don't use it as it was **bleep** for in home streaming) - when I said I've got evidence of an issue outside my home set up they just tell me they don't guarantee ping speeds (???). I think even if I jump through the hoops first line want I'm going to end up with the same answer.

Any body got any advice or had any joy resolving an issue like this? Is anybody else having these issues? I'm hoping it will just resolve itself in a few days but who knows.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: High ping at BT Faraday / Slough

The only ping that matters is the destination one. All other pings en route are treated as low priority.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Presume 185.60.112.157 is 1 of your game servers?

Please do a pathping 185.60.112.157  to it.

Message 4 of 5

Yes - having done some more troubleshooting i was getting around 3 secs of packet loss every 15 seconds. I tested everything from switching out the router back to the hub, cooling down my wireless AC adapter, pluggin direct etc.

Did a ping plot and turns out BT DNS was dropping about 75% of my packets?? 

Flushed my DNS and still the same. Switched over to open DNS and it now seems fine. Very weird. Will continue to monitor.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Yes, switching DNS is a good idea for gaming issues. Often there are delays at 1 of BT's peering partners & a diff DNS will trigger a diff route to the gaming server.