cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

High ping / latency and packet loss on broadband - potential causes?

Looking for similar experience and any insights to help find a solution.

I am getting a generally high ping latency and frequent high (>30%) packet loss on BT broadband (copper).

When running BT Speedtest i sometimes also get return of a grey exclamation mark and no results. This also sometimes result in an 'error #2032' appearing as another alternate to results. Results for upload can be as low as 0.02 and up to 0.48 (which would be great). Download vary from 1mb to 6mb.

Doesnt seem to matter if device is wired or wireless. Whenever traffic hits internet the quality of service degrades.

I have been running pingplotter and the attached/below snip shows a snapshot particularly of the ping times in the 'CUR' column. These being pings hitting UKCORE.BT.NET and EU.BT.NET and GTT.NET with pings in excess of 1,000ms.

Welcome any thoughts/ideas from the communit to help me improve the service??

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: High ping / latency and packet loss on broadband - potential causes?

can you post stats from your router

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

run btspeedtester with ethernet conenction and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  appears to work better with edge not firefox

are you using the test socjket with a filter to see if that helps by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi. Done quiet line test. Nothing of note so seems ok.

Diag tests from BT Speedtest below. Speed itself on a point test is generally ok.

Issue is the ping/packet loss shown earlier.

Will try test socket directly. I have tried two other routers.

Why would BT Speedtest give the grey exclamation mark as a result?

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

@imjolly any further thoughts?
0 Ratings