Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

High ping since trying other modem

Hello peeps,

I have had BT Infinity for a few months now and enjoyed pings, via speedtest.net, as low as 11ms but more often than not around 15ms which I find very acceptable.

Those pings were using the Hub 5 VDSL modem router.

About 2 weeks ago I tried out a BT Huwai HG612 modem with original (non-BT) flashed firmware and hooked it up directly to my PlayStation 4 to give myself a 'clean' NAT Type 1.

This worked fine but I noticed no particular advantage with online gaming so I reverted back to the BT Hub 5.

Now, I have pings around the 40 to 45ms and suspect the DLM has something to do with it.

My question is, providing I leave the Hub 5 turned on, and avoid restarting it (and tip toe when I walk past it!) how long will it be before my pings return to what I had before?

Any help much appreciated.

Paul.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: High ping since trying other modem

Sounds Like the line has been interleaved.

Some users on Kitz reported higher error rates with the hg612 depending on software version which could be the case here Ray & other posters will proably know more.

I have both modems - On my line the ECI/r is a little faster than the HG612 and reports slightly less errors per hour according to the software 🙂

Useful DLM guide by BTRetails sister isp Plusnet might help ?

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

I didn't know that Barry can you link me to the forum posts please ? I have a hg612 and mines reporting quite a lot of errors the noise Margin always drops to about 5.3dB so maybe it's the modem and I need to get myself an eci one even though my cab is Huawei. My mum is also on an Huawei cabinet and her eci modem appears to be better.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 18

Embarrassing I'm a having a little trouble finding the exact thread. It was earlier in the year when I had all the issuea with the HH5 . I think its with the newer (?) software  {mines 35 I think}

Find the same as you though Arron both pings and speed is better on the eci/r .

Not by much -but don't know if thats just due to being on a ECI fibre box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Eci must just be better in general mate and apparently DLM has been taken out completely so I don't know if people with interleaved lines are gonna be stuck that way as there won't be any system to dynamically take it off if the line is stable enough. So I'm pretty worried about that as I have 8ms delay myself and I left the modem on for a 7 solid days with no change and usually it took just 4 solid days.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Thanks for the replies 🙂

I didn't try last night but the night before, I was getting pings of around 30ms which is slightly less than in my OP but still twice the delay of what it was in the past.

If DLM has been shut down, I hope there will be some way of getting back the low pings I used to have.

When I first connected to Infinity, the very first test I did was 8ms to a server 100 miles from me and the line was very stable with no errors and full throughput.

Now, I still have full throughput (for my package) but high pings 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Bat I'm guessing you live down south 😛 my mate is on infinity just like me and he gets 6-9ms and I used to get 13 currently getting 21 😞 stupid DLM, if bt have shut it down with no other means of people's speeds going back up after a line fix for example then surely people can just leave as there speeds won't be anywhere near there estimate and with no DLM only an engineer could reset it I'm assuming.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

I'm from Leeds. Headingley exchange.

I agree with all you say (apart from the living down sarf bit!) but since BT manage the infrastructure, leaving and going to another provider might be fruitless, since BT controled the DLM system over all broadband providers?

Anyway, I wait (maybe in vain) for pings to return to what they were.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

i also live in leeds but get more ping than you when un interleaved, strange is that, my exchange is pudsey. and na interleave wouldnt be on if you changed providers as the connection would be reistablished by the new provider, they use different backhaul network i believe.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Unless BT can sort out this fairly high (for me) ping, maybe another service provider is the way to go, then.

Some people have very high latency and probably wonder why I'm not happy but I can tell the difference in games like Call of Duty where a split-second means a win or a loss. Their net code and 'lag compensation' doesn't always help either.

6am and pings still around 30ms at best 😞
0 Ratings