Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ravenholm
Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: High ping since upgrade, why?

@Webby wrote:
I believe my post explains it pretty well.

Ignore the assured rate - it relates to QoS which is used for BT vision. It shows up for everyone who runs the test whether you have vision or not.

Not really as there is no interleaving on BTifinity according to thier it tech department, they also stated that the assured rate is used to keep a balance on my line.

Soi will ask again why has my ping jumped up to an unacceptable speed, they advertise BTinfinity for gaming which is apparant for nearly every advert i see from BTinfinity..... not likely with 50-70ms ping times it's not.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 26

I can 100% guarantee you that there is interleaving on FTTC. I'd be happy to bet any amount on that being the case.

It comes in varying degrees from very light interleaving to quite aggressive depending on the requirement.

Assured rate has nothing to do with "balancing your line" if anything that's what interleaving is for.

Assured rate is used to deliver QoS (Quality of Service) services when streaming assets via BT vision. It's essentially a guaranteed path for data when video streaming over BT vision to ensure there's no data loss or slow down.

Trust me, I know the ADSL and FTTC networks very well.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Ravenholm
Contributor
Message 13 of 26

@webby Thanks for your information and i am not disbelieving you.

It's just that with my ping going even higher today and no sort of reply on this forum i thought i would give bt tech a call, when i phoned the indian call centre could not give me any info so they passed the call onto the english based it tech department where i had a chat with one of the workers...

The outcome of this conversation was that there is No interleaving on BTinfinity and that assured rate is active on my line to stop it from going to high and dropping out completely, he said it keeps it at a stable rate of download and upload.

So who am i to believe? why would they blatantly lie to me? What are they hiding? and why can't they just sort my line out and give me back my low ping?

How do i go about getting this resolved? as i feel my next step after the lies i have been told is to contact Ofcom.

As clearly something is very wrong with this infinity, what with all the posts on this forum of erractic speeds, high pings, sluggish web browsing, missed engineer visits, no call backs etc.... i could go on and on.

Again any help much appreciated.... All i want is the service i had for 6 days back.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

I don't think they've blatantly lied to you, the probably just don't have a deep understanding of the network as it's not something that they would typically deal with.

In terms of getting it resolved, ultimately you need to leave it alone and DLM will gradually decrease the severity of interleaving as it sees fit when errors aren't as high. Openreach do not allow DLM to be reset for FTTC like Wholesale do for ADSL.

If anything this proves that FTTC is working as it should to provide you with a connection which is stable and not dropping out. That is DLM's primary role, and it will favour stability over speed.

See this post from Dean the moderator - http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Interleaving-Fastpath/m-p/329777#M18326

He confirms that interleaving is on Auto for FTTC which means it'll be utilised if necessary. There is no way to set it to "off" as you could on ADSL.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
flamey
Contributor
Message 15 of 26

What are you actually using to measure this? Most websites/speedtesters are just unreliable for latency always use command prompt to a dedicated ip- not domain as these have multiple servers.

It seems interleave has been enabled either way in some depth capacity as your line cannot handle the speeds at the moment without producing errors. Although this could improve as DLM adjusts settings or profiles. I would advise not turning off the vdsl modem in the meantime as this could effect the chance of dlm dropping you to fastpath.

0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 26

There are two bonus tests in the tester.

The Assured rate service, and the premium. Assured rate is for BT Vision (which I do have). Anyone know what the premium one is actually used for?

There is a bug with assured rate and BT Vision on infinity. Starting with a BT profile of 38.71, you should finish with a profile of 38.71 after watching BT Vision. It changes while you are watching a programme. However, after watching a programme, it goes back to 38.4 instead of 38.71.....weird.

0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 26

It seems fairly obvious to me that if the cap is lifted for 80/20, you will connect at a faster speed, but in the process of doing so, you are more likely to encounter more errors. More speed means more frequencies are used. More frequencies being used means a lower SNR. Lower SNR means more errors, and more errors means a greater chance of interleaving being switched on automatically by the DLM.

I would say that a person should consider carefully whether to go for 80/20 if their priority is gaming rather than download speed.

Now what you need is FTTP to sort this out 🙂

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 18 of 26

Webby,

So why do we get different ping results from different testers then please. I've just done 3 tests and I get all different ping.

BT Beta----123.20Ms

Speedtest.net-----15Ms

bbmax----- 34Ms

There's an hell of a difference between them.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 19 of 26

I personally would only ever use command prompt (either traceroute or ping commands) to check latency as my personal experience of online checkers from my home connection leave much to be desired. What kind of results are you getting to your destination server from command prompt? Is there even a destination server you're having problems with latency to, or is this just a general observation?

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aarong
Guru
Message 20 of 26

Yea i would have to agree with Dean, speedtest website sometimes can be highly unreliable in terms of ping rates, i get all sorts ranging from 20-60ms depending, also time of day can affect it as well.

Definitely, for a more accurate ping test, use command prompt on your computer and ping bbc or something like that. Gives the best readings by far for me.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution