Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arley
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

High upstream noise margin

Go to solution

Hello all,

I've had repeated problems this year with my broadband downstream connection dropping coupled with an intermittent crackle on the line. We've had four engineer visits (three line engineers and one broadband engineer), one found a problem at the exchange but the problem persists. Whilst I understand that they cannot fix the fault if it isn't present when they are on site we are battling with a very slow upload speed. We are on ADSL2+ and about 2km from the exchange on an EO line. Have done the usual things like change filter, use master socket only, replace modem. Cable is underground all the way to the exchange. I currently seem to be able to get a stable connection for 3+ days (until either the phone support team ask me to reboot my modem or the engineer visits and disconnects it!) but still with occasional crackles on the home phone line.

Here's my HH4 connection stats:

15:52:08, 15 Jun.( 1303.260000) ETHoA is up -​ VPI: 0, VCI:35
15:52:08, 15 Jun.( 1303.250000) DSL is up
15:52:07, 15 Jun.( 1302.250000) DSL noise margin: 29.30 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
15:52:07, 15 Jun.( 1302.190000) DSL line rate: 447 Kbps upstream, 17015 Kbps downstream

Here's the result of the broadband checker:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 14--12.5 to 16Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 14Up to 112.5 to 16Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available----
Fixed Rate2----Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available--

--

Result from BT speed tester (from laptop as I don't have ability to connect to router wired but with all other devices OFF)

Download speed: 13.41Mbps

Upload speed: 0.36Mbps

Ping: 40.13ms

Is it possible to get the SNR margin reset to 6db to see if this increases our upload speed?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: High upstream noise margin

Go to solution

I doubt from your stats that up noise margin was ever as low as 6db but see if mods can help improve your up speed  they will post a contact us link here  

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 2/3 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @arley Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting about your broadband speed. 

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
arley
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for looking into this.....

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

did you complete the forum after following the mod contact us link?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
arley
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Yes I did, so will wait until I'm at the front of the queue 🙂

0 Ratings
arley
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Well big thanks to the team I seem to have got this problem sorted.

It appears that my ADSL profile upstream was 'stuck' at 448k despite me being upgraded to adsl2+ late last year. The mod (think it was Dave) got this changed and lo and behold my line reset itself this morning and I'm not connected:

10:07:54, 27 Jun.(1017416.010000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
10:07:54, 27 Jun.

(1017415.510000) DSL line rate: 1259 Kbps upstream, 17079 Kbps downstream

Just did a speedtest using the BT tool and I'm seeing 14.58 down, 1.2 up, ping 37.63ms so a substantial improvement on before.

Many thanks!!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

thats great

I think that is the highest upstream speed on adsl2+ that I can remember seeing

0 Ratings