cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 41

Re: Hmm, I've just had a *letter* from BT........

Go to solution

Aye, it does look that way:(

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 22 of 41

Go to solution
Hi DS,

Thanks for posting. I can check what’s available for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details and we can take it from there.

Cheers

David
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 41

Go to solution

Hi David

I already know that Infinity is available to me, a third party acting on behalf of BT has confirmed this several times when they've called me, but it's the wording on the recent letter that concerns me

We are moving you to BT Infinity so that you get the best possible broadband experience with faster speeds and the latest fibre optic technology (snipped a bit out)

It clearly states the BT are moving me, not asking me if I want it. Can you find out if I have a choice?

I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't see why I should be penalised (at renewal) after BT upgrade me to Infinity with a predicted maximum speed of 27.2mbps when actually I was happy chugging along on my up to 8mb connection, oh, till they upped that to ADSL2:). Don't forget, if I did upgrade to Infinity, I've already been told that there's no way I'd be able to negotiate my contract renewal price down to anything near to what I'm paying atm for adsl.

Price comes before speed in this house!:D

Having said all that, do you still want my details?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 41

Go to solution
Hi DS,

It wouldn't be done without your agreement but I'll be happy to check just to be sure.

Cheers

David
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 41

Go to solution

I did guess that, or does BT have a master key for my house!:o;)

It's the way I've been approached throughout this experience - starting a conversation with a 'we need to arrange an engineer' and the way the letter is worded - I'm not having a go here, just doesn't seem or sound right to me.

Ask Sean is he's finished with the deerstalker and pipe;)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 41

Go to solution

Sorry to re-open this old thread but I've come to the forum specifically because I keep receiving these exact same letters and I am very worried that I'll soon be forced into Infinity. At first the letter came once a month (starting last summer), now I'm getting one a week. The wording is worrying as it sounds more like an instruction than an option. "Ring this number now to arrange an engineer".

I don't want Infinity, although the extra speed would be nice and the cost would not be a problem, for me it's the practicallity of it. I have a near perfect setup in my house on ADSL with Ethernet connections and I don't want to (in fact cannot) change things around - and cannot at this time "go wifi". 

Things they don't tell you when they encourage you to "upgrade" include having to have two modem/router gadgets connected to your "master socket" which in most houses is either in the downstairs hall or Living Room. No way will the other people in my house agree to this. BT also don't tell you these gadgets need to be connected to each other and to a power supply which obviously needs to be near the socket. There is no power supply near my master socket. They don't tell you that you have to have a good wifi setup unless you want to trail wires all over your house. They don't tell you that the engineer will not setup Infinity anywhere else other than beside the "master socket".

They don't tell you that you will no longer be able to watch iPlayer etc on your upstairs TV or PVR because there is absolutely no way to connect it to your router anymore - due to the routerS being in your living room or hall!

I'd also lose the use of my excellent Netgear router that I paid £60 for just last year after a 4th HH3 failed to work! Infinity will mean having BT routers forced on me with no choice. In my case they would be taking a lot more away from me than I'd be getting.

So, can someone confirm where these letters (clearly headed with BT Logos etc) are coming from and whether we have a choice in this. And I don't just mean a yes or no to Infinity. If we say no thank you, how long can we stay on ADSL exactly as we are at the moment?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 41

Go to solution

There is just a lot of Infinity hard sell at the moment. If you are happy with ADSL, then stay with it,

ADSL is not going to go away, as there is never going to be sufficient capacity to move the thousands of exchange ADSL connections over to equipment in street cabinets.

ADSL equipment is located in a nice warm and dry enviroment in the exchange, unlike the Infinity RDSLAMs that are in street cabinets, and subject to extreme temperatures and humidity, and the occasional demolition by a passing car.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 41

Go to solution

@thirl88 wrote:

So, can someone confirm where these letters (clearly headed with BT Logos etc) are coming from and whether we have a choice in this. And I don't just mean a yes or no to Infinity. If we say no thank you, how long can we stay on ADSL exactly as we are at the moment?

It's a third party acting on BT's behalf - I did ask where they were based but can't remember where it was:(

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 41

Go to solution

Thanks Keith and DS. You have put my mind at rest (for now at least). I really was beginning to think I had to change over to Infinity very soon due to these letters coming so often now. And they are worded (purposely) very poorly.

On a slightly different, but related, subject... If a house is changed over to Infinity, can it be put back to ordinary ADSL at any time? Or, if you moved house and it had Infinity would you be "stuck" with it and then have to buy the Infinity equipment?

And do all ISPs have an "Infinity" equivalent? I've been on BT for 15 years (quite happily too!!!! apart from the Hubs) and I've never even looked elsewhere. Some of my family are on "My Post Office" and none of them have heard of Infinity or anything like it.

I have received a letter from SKY trying to sell me what sounds like Infinity. Do they have their own installers or do they  use Open Reach and the same BT equipment. (Apologies for going off topic slightly here).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 41

Go to solution

A number of ISPs , not all, now offer an FTTC service i.e. an Infinity equivalent  -  Infinity is just BT's name for their FTTC offering.  Look on Openreach's site and it tells you which ISPs currently offer this.   But as you suspected, they all ( including SKY ) use the same BT equipment and initial installation will be carried out by Openreach engineers or their subcontractors.

0 Ratings